Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Straightening a bent grate  (Read 604 times)

Tug

• Smokey Joe
Straightening a bent grate
« on: June 24, 2018, 02:23:57 AM »
When I bought my master touch, the GBS cooking grate that came with it was slightly bent/out of true leaving it as a slightly squashed circle on one edge.

Weber replaced it FOC under warranty, and let me keep the old one.

Now I've got a second hand performer, I obviously want to put the grate on this as an upgrade.  Does anybody have any experience or tips for pulling it back into a true circle please?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Straightening a bent grate
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:51:11 AM »
If it goes in the bowl freely and doesn't affect function, you can just leave it as is. You can always clamp it on a table vise and pry it to shape but if you're not careful,  you ran the risk of having the weld joints on the adjacent tines to come off or at the very least, compromized.

Tug

• Smokey Joe
Re: Straightening a bent grate
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:56:07 AM »
If it goes in the bowl freely and doesn't affect function, you can just leave it as is. You can always clamp it on a table vise and pry it to shape but if you're not careful,  you ran the risk of having the weld joints on the adjacent tines to come off or at the very least, compromized.
The hinged section is quite tricky to get back down, and there's a bit of a gap that's already lost me a burger and a chicken breast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk