Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 981 times)

kristine82

• Happy Cooker
Vortex
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
Hi, i m planning to buy a vortex to cook wings and would like some advise

1) Will the vortex cause burn marks on my wings? i am not using the circular removal grate at the centre and was wondering if the grate will heat up intensely and cause burn marks on the wings
2) Will putting aluminium foil around the vortex at the charcoal grate speed up the cooking process? how long does it take for wings to be fully done?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Hi Kristine and welcome to WKC.

It's not the Vortex per se that would cause food to burn, but rather whatever heat it makes and for how long. I'm not trying to be flippant, but just noting that you do have control over how much charcoal goes into it and where your bottom and top vents are.

The presence or absence of the center part of the grill shouldn't affect what happens vis-a-vis heat transfer too much, I don't think.

Foil is a good idea in my opinion. Keeps the grill a little cleaner and helps direct incoming airflow from beneath where it needs to go: into the vortex.

Bone-in chicken parts can take the heat, so uncover, and watch them every once in a while and let 'r rip.

So ... practice? (Others will offer actual, practical answers soon.)

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
My wings usually take about 30 mins.  I flip them after 15 minutes. 
I don't use any foil and use a standard grate. 
No burn marks.

Just make sure you use an oven mitt to lift the lid, it gets really hot.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
No.

Probably not.

I don’t use foil.

Follow josh g’s advice but pull one and taste it. Depending on how you like your wings will depend if you pull them all or leave them on longer.

Like ats says. Practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »
My wings usually take about 30 mins.  I flip them after 15 minutes. 
I don't use any foil and use a standard grate. 
No burn marks.

Just make sure you use an oven mitt to lift the lid, it gets really hot.
It all depends on the quantity of wings as well as  weather conditions. I'm usually cooking a lot of them (approx. 35 are fitting the 22 with vortex / poortex) and by normal weather it takes 50-60 minutes. Once I was doing them by approx. 5f outside and a hard wind. They were done after 1h40...

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
So with other words, they are done when they are done[emoji6]

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »
I only get really dark wings if I finish them directly over the center, but otherwise I do get some color on them, just not really dark. 

I use foil, but mainly for the ease of cleanup.  I have no data to support it speeding up the cooking process, although I can see the logic in it.

If I really load up the Vortex I can get them done in 30-45 minutes.  If I'm not in a hurry, I'll only load it halfway and it takes more like an hour.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

kristine82

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:50:02 PM »
thanks all for your replies.. another question i have is whether using lump or briquettes taste better for wings? will using lump speed the cooking process since it generates more heat?

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
thanks all for your replies.. another question i have is whether using lump or briquettes taste better for wings? will using lump speed the cooking process since it generates more heat?
I never used lump in my poortex but can imagine that it will burn very quickly and you might be not able to maintain high temp during the entire cook. However, maybe somebody used it? It's an interesting question.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 10:36:43 PM »
Not sure if lump taste better for wings in the Vortex since the lump is burning so hot. Lower temp cook puts out more smoke flavor then a hot and fast cook.
I usually just use Charcoal in the Vortex with a lump of wood on the cooking grate above it and the wings get a nice smokey flavor. This cook had a little too much apple smoke for my family. A smaller wood chunk would’ve been better.
The wings in front were marinated in a sugary teriyaki sauce and the wings in back were just seasoned with salt and pepper and then once pulled put Sweet Baby Rays Wing Sauce on them.
These took about 45 Min and were flipped. They don’t have to be flipped but sometimes I do.
Best advice is practice and find out what works best for your tastes. Also had good results with the flash frozen wings that Walmart sells. You cook them frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

FireJoe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
I used a vortex this weekend, my first time and I did drumsticks. Turned out great and I love it. I added a sweet savory dry rub when I took them off and they were sticky sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club