Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: lid not snug on Weber performer grill  (Read 762 times)

GrillSergeant

• Happy Cooker
lid not snug on Weber performer grill
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
I've noticed there's a little more play in how the lid on my new performer deluxe grill fits compared to my old kettle grill, and I've noticed more than a few smoke leaks coming out of the edges when the lid is on.  I didn't think much of it really, except when I went to Home Depot today, I noted how snug the lid was on a Weber Master Touch kettle grill.  Actually had to press down a little to get it to sort of seat in place.  Nice, tight fit.  Lid wouldn't turn once on. 

I'm wondering if there's some way to modify my performer lid to reduce the circumference a little.  Don't want to use a gasket if I can help it.  I'm thinking of using a ratcheting strap around it and tighten to pull in the edges a little on the lid.  I'll let you know if it works. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: lid not snug on Weber performer grill
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:48:55 PM »
Don’t worry about this one more minute. The more you cook the more it will seal up. Besides, these are grills and you don’t really want them “air tight”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »
Every new kettle I've ever had rattled a bit when new
or after a really good cleaning.
Cook a bunch of chicken thighs
and it'll tighten right up.

GrillSergeant

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 05:07:26 PM »
Okay, I'll "burn" it in first!  thanks!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »
Your lid or bowl is most likely slightly out of round.

Measure the diameters from different angles. If you find either is an oval shape, give a hug to the long side to make everything round again.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
lid not snug on Weber performer grill
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
Yeah I had the same complaint when I got my new lid for a Performer. There is still a little play in it, but it doesn’t leak any air. Just need some gunk

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
Your lid or bowl is most likely slightly out of round.

Measure the diameters from different angles. If you find either is an oval shape, give a hug to the long side to make everything round again.
Every single performers that came to my possession were all out of round.  Always narrower accros the bowl mounts typically by 1/2".  Probably due to the frame squeezing it inward.

In terms of giving it a hug, you need to be very careful  or you'll end up with vertical fractures just above the lip of the lid especially on the newer kettles as the porcelain coatings are much more fragile/prone to cracking or chipping. The proper way of fixing the out of round lid is to put it in  a clamp and leave it for a day or two. The longest I've kept a lid in a clamp is a whole week to get to the result that i wanted.