Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber fireplace tips and tricks?  (Read 2048 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Weber fireplace tips and tricks?
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:40:02 AM »

I have a NIB Weber fireplace on its way to me (Thanks @JEBIV !) and I see Mr. CPHo just scored one in Florida. I thought this would be a great place to ask people that have them if they have any tips or tricks.  I'm looking to burn wood in mind, and I read somewhere else on here about maybe putting sand in the bottom to act as a heat buffer from the ground. CaptJoe06 suggested I throw a pair of cheap plastic handles on to keep the nice original wood ones from cracking.

Any other tips or tricks?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber fireplace tips and tricks?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »
Both tips from @captjoe06 are perfect tips IMO
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
Yes, put sand in the bottom.  It actually says to do that in the manual.  I don't know about ground heat buffering, probably helps prevent crazing and popping the bottom.  Get a cover to prevent the bottom from filling with water.  the water is more of an annoyance than a really problem.  Kind of like a WSM bottom filling and you have to dump the mucky soot out.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Weber fireplace tips and tricks?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
Another grate assist by JEBIV... not surprised at all.

The fireplace I picked up was in pretty good condition, with only slight crazing on the bottom.  It doesn’t appear to have been used very much.  The prior owner didn’t use sand, but used a grate to elevate the fire off the bottom bowl.  I’m not sure if all fireplaces had the grate (Euro version didn’t), but I do plan to use sand in conjunction with the grate for double protection. 

Even though it wasn’t used much, it was really difficult to remove the rusted bolts and nuts, especially on the bottom bowl and lower ring.  If I were lucky enough to find one BNIB, I’d start with SS hardware and throw the stock hardware in the trash.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:25:00 AM by Mr.CPHo »

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
Other than sand in the bottom and a cover (Weber still has them in stock last time I checked), I recommend placing it on pavers or concrete at least 12" larger than the footprint of the fire pit.. The lid redirects the heat down and kills the grass surrounding it.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
My Happy Cooker is the perfect example of the Sand Issue, I pit sand in the inside ash cooker and it keeps the temperature constant so I can do long slow BBQs in it. When using my Masters touch Kettle i use fire bricks, but somehow that Happy Cooker and the sand hold temp so much better.

Point Being, Mass helps hold temperature, the kettle design of our Weber's is just a happy fluke of the buoy design that rotates the temperature perfectly, But then any GrillFellow will tell you that your bag of MOJO is what makes a cook great. I think several cans of sand in the bottom of a cook is so much mojo I usually keep it a secret.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
Great tips!!  Mr.CPHo, you put a grate in addition to sand in the Bottom? Like what sized grate?

Does any kind of sand work, or playground / silica sand or some other specified type?  I'm guessing I shouldn't just walk down to the beach and snatch up a 5-gallon bucket fulla California's finest? Maybe I'd drive - that would be a long walk with 5 gallons of sand...

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
   After cleaning my fire pit I ordered a cajun bandit 22" wsm coal ring. It fits perfect and looks oem and will keep the wood away from the porcelain. Order SS nuts and acorn nuts, 1 nut and 1 acorn nut is needed per bolt.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »
Filibuster, you put this ( https://www.cajunbandit.com/product-p/008.htm ) in the bottom of the fireplace?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
I would not think beach sand is "clean enough" to use in a cooker? So, play sand? I mean, they process it a little, yeah?

I'd use sand in my WSM all the time if/when I figure out how to keep it clean. Until then, unfortunately, I'm still chasing the damn vents.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »

Great tips!!  Mr.CPHo, you put a grate in addition to sand in the Bottom? Like what sized grate?

Does any kind of sand work, or playground / silica sand or some other specified type?  I'm guessing I shouldn't just walk down to the beach and snatch up a 5-gallon bucket fulla California's finest? Maybe I'd drive - that would be a long walk with 5 gallons of sand...
The grate in the center came with my fireplace, I do not know if it’s original.  It’s slightly larger in diameter than the 22” charcoal great which is on the right.  Also notice the spacing is different.  The charcoal grate on the left is from an 18”. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
Filibuster, you put this ( https://www.cajunbandit.com/product-p/008.htm ) in the bottom of the fireplace?
   Yes

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
I place a grate at the bottom of mine so it’s easier to pitche the ashes. Sand will mix in with the ash.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 05:45:52 AM »
Here's an overall shot, next three shots show the SS acorn nuts.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 05:52:03 AM »
Ahhh. Thanks Filibuster, those are great pics! Now I understand. That's a nice clean, easy setup that seems to make everything work smoothly while also protecting the porcelain from contacting the heat source.