Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal grate for 26.75 kettle  (Read 1256 times)

itzyoboipaul

• Smokey Joe
Charcoal grate for 26.75 kettle
« on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:43 AM »
So I recently grabbed a 26.75 from FB marketplace for $60. In very good shape except the charcoal grate is pretty rusted. The original charcoal grate is 21.75” and sells for $45 brand new

I went to Walmart and saw a porcelain coated 21” cooking grate for $7. I bought it , took and home and it fits without any problems.

Question: do you all see any issues with using this porcelain coated grate as my new charcoal grate?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal grate for 26.75 kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
Yes, the porcelain will burn off and then it'll rust faster than the real thing would, because it's likely not as thick steel. Also, what you got lacks the lower support bars the real thing has. Heat bends metal, and that cook grate will die faster than the real thing will.

Even with the lower support bars, the Weber charcoal grate will eventually sag if coals are regularly dumped in the center of the grill. But it takes years.

And where's that porcelain paint going to go? Onto the food?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

itzyoboipaul

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
I did see the lower support bar on the original weber charcoal grate.  Good point.  Maybe I’ll just try to clean it up with some white vinegar etc

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
A mixture of baking soda + vinegar will give you some sizzle action to do part of the work for you, if you've got a large tub or trash can lid you can let it soak in.

The charcoal grate is a "wear item," don't obsess to much here. That being said, you might shake off the ash after each cook, and store it inside when not used.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

itzyoboipaul

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
Appreciate the help.  Will definitely try cleaning it

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
You said the charcoal grate was rusted, but, has it burned through ?    If it's just rusty, it's fine, the charcoal isn't going to care.  You could knock the rust off it if you want.   If it's warmed, lay it on the ground and hammer it back into shape with a mallet.      it's a charcoal grate, not a food grate.   It's good until it won't hold charcoal anymore.

itzyoboipaul

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
my concern also was that the rust from the charcoal grate will move along, and start rusting the inside of the bowl ?  Sorry rookie question

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:59:10 AM »
my concern also was that the rust from the charcoal grate will move along, and start rusting the inside of the bowl ?  Sorry rookie question

No problem and no need to apologize.   Sorry if  I came across as abrupt.  The inside of the bowl will be fine. 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

itzyoboipaul

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »
Not abrupt at all.  Members here have always been super helpful. Thank you !

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Charcoal grate is going to start rusting
from the minute you finish your first cook
and burn off the factory coating.  (grease).

As said it's a wear item.
Rust cannot move from the grate to the bowl.

Get cooking and in ten years when you're still
using this same grate you'll know the answer.

Remember the cooking grate is SS.
Just scrub it and go.

Have a great Summer!

itzyoboipaul

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
Thanks everyone !!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12:38 PM »
   Maybe because I'm such a cheap bastard I clean the cook grate as well as the charcoal grate, they both look brand new.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »
   Maybe because I'm such a cheap bastard I clean the cook grate as well as the charcoal grate, they both look brand new.

What is there to clean on the charcoal grate?

In 10 years when my charcoal grate is too worn out to use I’ll get a SS one custom made.