Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork butt at 209 ...  (Read 887 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Pork butt at 209 ...
« on: May 10, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »
I know, I know, "it's done, yank it!"

But I'm stubborn and want to see 210. It's irrational, and therefore ignorant and stupid. so I'm not feeding myself nor the kids tonight unless they want a 9pm snack. Yes, am I a dick sometimes. And on a school night!

7.5lbs went on at about 9:15 and we danced in the mid 200s for much of the day. I cut it in half to cook "quicker".

Hah, hah, right.

At about 160 I put it in a pan and foiled. There has been zero spritzing, zero basting, no nuthin'. I used very little smoke (hickory lump helped get us going early on.) I did however and get fancy enough to nearly fill the water pan. Ooh ... radical.

I've twice added two small chimney's worth of charcoal a while ago, when the original allotment was spent. We stalled at around 180 (after slowing and stalling near 160) and after I cranked up the heat with fresh coals opened everything up and let it run full speed, mid 300s and it's been at about 410-420 for a solid hour +.

No joke.

So when it crested to my original target of 203-205 I said, "Yeah, it rose too fast and needs to go higher,  'cause when it rises faster it needs to go hotter ..." <--- read that on the Innernet so it must be true.

415 pit
209.2 meat

We won't eat tonight. I'll bake this son-of-a-bitch all night at 209 if necessary. I'm in a stupid mood.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Re: Pork butt at 209 ...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »
Ha! That’s great, I thought I was the only dumb one who did that. I am always stubborn also trying to get mine to 205°. I will wait hours and hours to get it there. “I don’t need no stinking foil”, I say to myself.
16 hours for a pork butt?!? That’s crazy talk.
It’s not any better but that’s where it needs to be for me.
I’ve baked many a frozen pizza for the family when I’ve passed dinner time because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:06:59 PM »
Awesome, a kindred spirit in nuttiness. Thanks, RumBar!

208 at 802. Cute, ain’t it? It would be another hour before we ate. :(

Oh, surely any second now ...

So, so weak daddy ...

eff it! 8:45pm is enough!

Rested? Placed in a cambrio? Um, nope. Forget to mention, one had been rubbed with “pork rub,” and the other with “cocoa rub,” both from some chef friends. I tore apart the “pork rub” one. It had the bone.

’twas great. Seasoned corn and mashed taters.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:24:08 AM »
You should stay with "yank it."

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:37:33 AM »
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I wouldn’t mind getting a smoke to play with. It looks really nice. So does the food!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Does the smoke provide those graphs or is that only with the wifi gateway?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
Only with the Gateway, and I don’t yet know how to save them. When I was finished I shut everything off. The Gateway app complained of lost connection since the main sending unit was turned off. Just for fun I clicked on the timeline or something in the app and it showed really nothing of my cook.

Strangely it said something about my cook starting at like 4:30 pm