Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Engine paint question  (Read 1524 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Engine paint question
« on: May 09, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
Can anyone recommend a particular brand of high heat red engine paint that is the best color match to the vintage Weber red color? Thanks.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Engine paint question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »
This is what I use on all my red kettles.  One coat is near perfect.  Extra coats make it a touch darker.  Good to 900 degrees.

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/brake-caliper-paint/vht-paints-aerosol-caliper-paint/419005_0_0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
☝️ this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
 I'll have to try that.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Cool, thanks for sharing Brew. I need a good match.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
Ditto what BTBD said, works great.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:54:51 PM »
This is what I use on all my red kettles.  One coat is near perfect.  Extra coats make it a touch darker.  Good to 900 degrees.

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/brake-caliper-paint/vht-paints-aerosol-caliper-paint/419005_0_0

How do you get a can of that stuff? The item description says it cannot be shipped to any US state?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »

How do you get a can of that stuff? The item description says it cannot be shipped to any US state?
Gonna have to get outta the house & head to your nearest AutoZone.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 07:18:47 PM »
Agree.  Caliper paint or header paint.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 02:53:50 AM »
Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic. #DE1653

***ACCEPT NO sUBSTITIUTES!!***
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 04:31:08 AM »

Dupli-Color only claims heat resistance to 500 "intermittently." Does it mainly look better than the others, and/or is 500 the highest needed?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 03:15:29 AM »

Dupli-Color only claims heat resistance to 500 "intermittently." Does it mainly look better than the others, and/or is 500 the highest needed?

Best color match I've found.

Yes If used on the bowl and coals are banked near the paint will burn the paint, but I focus primarily on the lids and temps rarely get that hot (unless you are using it as a pizza cooker - don't ask how I know!)

The only other high temp rattle can paint I've used that was a Stove Bright 1200* red that turned almost a brick red when cured.

http://forrestpaint.com/stove-bright/high-temp-stove-bright-aerosols/high-temp-aerosol-paint/

I used it on a drum smoker and one time I left the lid off at a comp and half of the drum went nuclear and burnt the paint off! At the time it was @ $14 a can and I'd used 2 cans - so that killed it for me!

I've been meaning to try powdered enamel and a torch to try to cover up some dings. I saw an artist using the technique on jewelry pieces and googled  some you tube videos of lures being made using it and it looks like it might work, but the folks that run the local glass shop where my wife bought her kiln and they said it wouldn't adhere and set. We shall see!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!