Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber charcoal  (Read 3030 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber charcoal
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 04:17:59 AM »
GFS Lump!! I swear I’m the only one who loves this stuff! Burns hot and long and has big pieces.
I do use RO briquettes when I’m pinching some serious pennies though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

I agree with you the GFS lump is great stuff!
Finally! Someone else!
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »
Sounds great, unfortunately I can't get it here
but from everything I can gather it seems to be
Royal Oak.  Don't know which one.  Looks
like they have 3 different lumps.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »
By GFS, are you referring to Gordon Food Service?
regards,
Hal

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
Yes @PotsieWeber that is what @Schaefd2 is referring to.  It is good lump but I still prefer Stubbs briquettes.  Lump burns up so fast...
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Weber charcoal
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:58 AM »
Yes @PotsieWeber that is what @Schaefd2 is referring to.  It is good lump but I still prefer Stubbs briquettes.  Lump burns up so fast...
I rarely have any problem running out of burning coal, but on the rare occasion that I do, I can place fresh lump on the hot lump and not make my food taste funny. Normally, a full chimney will burn nice and hot for 2-3 hours for me. The bag also has tons of large pieces in it - larger than the Royal Oak branded bags of lump, which is supposedly the same as GFS.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:49:35 AM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

jacobp

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »
Weber charcoal fully stocked at both my local Lowe's.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »
Did a quick look at the inventories of a dozen or so Lowes around here and all but 1 show none or <10 bags. I guess this means the end of it there.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 03:10:55 PM »
Weber charcoal fully stocked at both my local Lowe's.

Oooops. Made my post w/o seeing yours. Hmmmm. What's your locale?

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 04:00:17 PM »
So.

Have we reached the point where we're going to ask grillfellas to agent this?

What about getting a bag or two but leaving it sealed. You know, for the collection.

Don't laugh ... chances are that at least 3-4 or you are now considering it!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »
Ive noticed also that the local Lowes stopped carrying these as well. I went to the one near @varekai and they were out there also. Its a really good charcoal. Although I noticed that Home Depot still carries it for now. Maybe an exclusive deal.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 06:11:45 PM »
I’m wondering if it will only be available in certain markets where it performed well. It’s definitely on its way out in my area unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 06:15:07 PM »
Weird thing is, I don’t know a single person in my area that knows about or uses Stubbs at all and yet Lowe’s keeps it stocked. Someone’s buying it here I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »
Being as it is featured on the Weber.com front page scroll
doubtfull that it's going anywhere.

I like it.  But I don't like it to the tune of 17 clams a bag.

That's like buying BGE lump.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
Hi everyone!

We bought a couple of bags on sale at the end of last season at Lowes. Now, I wish we had bought more at $10/bag which was a bargain. I started out this season using up an already opened bag of Kingsford......and now that I am using the Weber coals, I am very impressed. A whole lot less smoke, fast ignite and I can cook a meal on half a chimney. I have ribs cooking out there right now.

I have two bags of Kingsford in my shed and will use them up, then try to stick with Weber and look for sales.  Only thing I don’t like is Webers bag....it is way to difficult to reseal the zip lock part....should be across the top instead of where they put it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »
... Only thing I don’t like is Webers bag....it is way to difficult to reseal the zip lock part....should be across the top instead of where they put it.

I like the container Buddeez makes for Kingsford, aka the Kingsford Kaddy, https://www.amazon.com/Buddeez-Kingsford-Kaddy-Charcoal-Dispenser/dp/B00HQE1QUG Comes in two sizes, everything stays dry.

Most pictures show the entire bag placed inside with the top cut off. You can do that or dump the charcoal in; either way it'll pour.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch