Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Limited Edition Red  (Read 3538 times)

KevinP

• WKC Brave
Limited Edition Red
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »
Does anyone know why Weber introduces the Limited Edition Red as a Master Touch version overseas and only the “Original” kettle in the U.S?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
Re: Limited Edition Red
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
I'm surprised at how much better the int'l stuff is. Why are we suffering with nickel plated when the rest of the world gets stainless steel? Why do the Brits get better colors?

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »
I'm surprised at how much better the int'l stuff is. Why are we suffering with nickel plated when the rest of the world gets stainless steel? Why do the Brits get better colors?

I have been asking this same question for years. This is how it was explained to me...

BBq'ing is much more popular here in the US than in Europe. Weber doesn't have to work very hard to promote their products or the pastime of bbqing here. Americans are an easy sell for Weber. Europe is a different story. BBq'ing and outdoor grilling isn't that popular or well known over there. It's not part of the culture like it is here. Therefore; Weber needs to offer the European market much more bells and whistles to entice them, to get them interested in BBq'ing first, and then Weber products second.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:08:16 AM »
Yeah, the whole grilling culture there is more of a luxury endeavor if it’s anything beyond disposable foil cookers.

Whereas here, CHEAP rules the day, yet we “expect” to still be offered big grills. The luxury of fancy grates and colors isn’t appreciated because the public

is
not
educated

by manufacturers about nicer circumstances.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 04:40:25 AM »
Yeah, the whole grilling culture there is more of a luxury endeavor if it’s anything beyond disposable foil cookers.

Whereas here, CHEAP rules the day, yet we “expect” to still be offered big grills. The luxury of fancy grates and colors isn’t appreciated because the public

is
not
educated

Look at the bright side... we have businesses that build the grates we want, supplying grate products, and creating jobs . Yeah, we don't get all the cool colors, butt that's okay with me. I don't have room for all of them...  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:49:15 AM »
Wow - some interesting Changes in Overseas version (which would have been welcomed very much in US)

- Stainless steel One-Touch cleaning system

- Gourmet BBQ System stainless steel hinged cooking grate

- Briquette measuring cup
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 06:43:18 AM »
Weber U.S.A. simply does not believe in "America First!"

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »
Weber U.S.A. simply does not believe in "America First!"

+1

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »

is
not
educated

Look at the bright side... we have businesses that build the grates we want, supplying grate products, and creating jobs . Yeah, we don't get all the cool colors, butt that's okay with me. I don't have room for all of them...  8)

That’s a healthy (and smart) attitude about it. The other day I scanned the UK and German sites and could no longer find the colored SJs, colored 18s nor most colored 22s. That entire thing might be coming to an end Over There, as well.

Or I could be blind and they’re all still available.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »

is
not
educated

That’s a healthy (and smart) attitude about it. The other day I scanned the UK and German sites and could no longer find the colored SJs, colored 18s nor most colored 22s. That entire thing might be coming to an end Over There, as well.

Or I could be blind and they’re all still available.

I don't think you are blind at all.  I looked about 6 months ago and it seemed to me that Weber was not putting out new 18s in colors and that maybe they would be following the U.S. in that everything will eventually be black.  I noticed a lot of European vendors show out of stock on particular colors.  I used to think it was because of the season but I don't think that is the case. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
Here is where I have an issue...

So, Weber makes all the product in Chicago, and ships it all over the world.  Dammit Weber, if you are making it here, let me buy it.  Fine, not at Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart, but let the indie dealers order and sell the goodies.

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »
Here is where I have an issue...

So, Weber makes all the product in Chicago, and ships it all over the world.  Dammit Weber, if you are making it here, let me buy it.  Fine, not at Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart, but let the indie dealers order and sell the goodies.

I feel like that'd be an easy upgrade path to give the indie dealers a niche to sell. A premium model that had the stainless steel grates and one touch system. As it is, my local small hardware store had Weber grills on "sale"... Sale price was the same price as Home Depot and Amazon.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:20 AM »
What they did last year (or year before) was supply H-D (maybe Lowe's) with a lid display. I'm sure you guys saw that. The display had actual kettle lids in the copper, green, crimson etc AND the new Q1200 colored lids also had a display. Only stocked black, but it was an efficient way of letting people know they could order a grill in some other colors.

It's late April and I'm not seeing such a display this year, but by May we should know for sure if they care. That marketing effort, and the Euro colors were likely an experiment that Byron David Trott (BDT Partners owns the grill company) wasn't financially impressed with.

In other words, a half-hearted attempt.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »
I've seen the lid displays at Ace Hardware, but don't recall seeing them at the big box stores.
I agree it's something that SHOULD be there.
You have to wonder how many people buy a different brand, just because they have it in a color other than black.

What they did last year (or year before) was supply H-D (maybe Lowe's) with a lid display. I'm sure you guys saw that. The display had actual kettle lids in the copper, green, crimson etc AND the new Q1200 colored lids also had a display. Only stocked black, but it was an efficient way of letting people know they could order a grill in some other colors.

It's late April and I'm not seeing such a display this year, but by May we should know for sure if they care. That marketing effort, and the Euro colors were likely an experiment that Byron David Trott (BDT Partners owns the grill company) wasn't financially impressed with.

In other words, a half-hearted attempt.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:49:58 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Mr.Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
Since we are discussing the Red Limited, would anyone happen to have a part number for the 5 spoke all black wheels that come with the Red Limited? I looked all over the place and can't find any info. I'm hoping they can be purchased separately.