Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New 1985 Brownie Owner  (Read 970 times)

gar13

• Happy Cooker
New 1985 Brownie Owner
« on: April 08, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »
Today, I was able to purchase a 1985 22" Brown Kettle for $40 Cdn.  I had been looking on Kijiji (like Craiglist here in Canada) for a a year or so after I purchased a 15" ceramic Vision Kamado. I love my Kamado, but it's too small for ribs and other large cuts.

I answered this add for a brown Webber kettle, but did not know the vintage. Purchased it from an older lady who had it in an ad mixed with many outdoor items for her moving sale. After I got it home a researched dating on this site and noticed the "G" code for 1985.  I plan on restoring this kettle to it's former glory, and have browsed the guides on this site and a few on google. Hoping to clean the triangle, legs and rest of the grill, buy a new top grate, and possible make my own new wooden handles. Going to have a blast restoring this old girl.

Any links or recommendations on restoration? The triangle is quite rusted? Is it salvageable? Has anyone made their own handles here on the forum?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: New 1985 Brownie Owner
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on the brownie! I love them.  Most of us started with the restoration instructions on the WKC opening screen and Troy's WKC vids on YouTube.  Ask questions if you have any.  Lots of good knowledge here.  Zavod44 {Brian)  is our resident handle maker.  Send him a PM and he will set you up.  He does beautiful work.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
Hello and welcome. First and foremost, we need pics, lol. We love our pics here and secondly there are a ton of restoration tips on the site. Just search around and you’ll find what you’re looking for. A wealth of knowledge in here.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gar13

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »
Oops, was having problems posting pictures. Edited my post. Thanks for the welcome!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
Man that thing looks great! One touch system too! Nice!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
Great grill & a great deal.

Regarding handles.  Another thing you can do is keep an eye out for cheap black kettles, including the rectangular go anywhere, that have handles in really good shape. You might even stumble across something new in box. 

There is a thread on here somewhere when a guy used some wood handles from a set of grill utensils that had his favorite sports team logo on the wood part.  If memory serves, he used the backs of his original wood handles and then cut the ones from the grill utensil down based on the tops of the old worn original ones.  Did some sanding & ten applied a finish & swapped them out for the tops of the old original handles.  Seemed like an interesting low-cost solution if you have the time. 
regards,
Hal

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 06:34:25 AM »
@gar13 For reference, here is a long running thread of some of the gorgeous handles that zavod44 has made.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-parade-of-zav-custom-handles/

Sweet score by the way! It should clean up nicely!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
Sharp looking ‘85!

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.