Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless Performer w/o OPD tank  (Read 1388 times)

Frankie482

• Smokey Joe
Stainless Performer w/o OPD tank
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »

I picked up a old performer with the non OPD tank.

The tank is full and apparently was never hooked up to the grill.

I got everything hooked up and the propane is coming out too fast so I am assuming the regulator is shot just due to age since it was never used.

I was gonna replace the regulator with the one suggested from Harbor Freight which will still fit the original 5lb air tank.

Im just concerned about the safety of using the tank without the OPD.

I could just go the route of replacing the whole regulator and hose assembly with a current model and use the 1 lb air tanks.

Just looking for some opinions on what others have done.

TIA!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Stainless Performer w/o OPD tank
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought OPD stands for overfill protection device.  It doesn't sound like it would be an issue to use a filled one, but an issue to re-fill it. 

The one I have does NOT have the triangular knob that are on the newer tanks with OPD, but has a yellow sticker on it saying it includes an overfill protection device.  A local family owned place is willing to fill it up because of that & said that the original OPDs only had the sticker, not the special triangular handle.  He also mentioned that I might want to keep bringing it back to him to fill because a lot of the big boys won't fill them if they do NOT have that triangular handle.  Double check and see if there is a sticker on it & bring it to a family owned place if it does.

Mine is a yellow somewhat rectangular (it might have rounded corners) sticker just a bit below the nozzle. 

As a bonus, this guy has the credentials to recertify an out of date tank & he'll do it at no additional charge if you refill your tank at the same time.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
At least one member, I believe @Jules V., converted his to use 1lb tanks & then refills them using a 20 lb tank.  If memory serves, he limits refills to 9 or 10 times and then pitches them because they are supposed to be single use (I think). 
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
Here's one with  a 1 lb tank.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »
Here's one with  a 1 lb tank.

@Jules V. That thing is awesome. Do you have a post about it? I like the creative use of the Ikea pencil holder, lol. Whereis that bar from?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger

Frankie482

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:43:50 PM »
Got it all working.

Just replaced the regulator and it started on the first spark.

Igniter worked and all.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
Hope you enjoy it.  I've only cooked on mine several times since getting it right before the holidays.  Haven't even cleaned it up yet because of the weather.  I wound up running across a large grill cover for a gasser clearanced for $10 that was big enough to fit it, so I got that instead of ones built for this (only aftermarket, Weber doesn't sell one that fits this anymore). 
regards,
Hal

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:32:43 PM »
Got it all working.

Just replaced the regulator and it started on the first spark.

Igniter worked and all.

Oh you were the one that picked up that ssp; nice!!! I'm glad someone here got it.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
Here is my  code AU 1997

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
Here is my  code AU 1997
Isn’t AU 2012?

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
Here is my  code AU 1997
Isn’t AU 2012?
I ment EI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 04:43:06 PM »
Here is my  code AU 1997
Isn’t AU 2012?
I ment EI

Red is EE Ssp is EI