Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using coals instead of charcoal  (Read 1138 times)

Talus

• Smokey Joe
Using coals instead of charcoal
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
I saw an episode of BBQ with Franklin that made me think about cooking with wood coals instead of charcoal.  In the episode AAron went to a steak house where they grilled over mesquite coals.  The place made a mesquite fire and let it burn to coals, then they shoveled some coals into a grill.  I'd like to try this in my kettle with apple.  I wonder if it would oversmoke food on a long cook, or if most of the smoke would be gone before it went to coals.  Someday when I have tons of time to try this I will.  Anyone done this before?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Using coals instead of charcoal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:11 AM »
For high temperature cooking, this method works great especially for indirect  cooking without the lid  or at the very least partially cracked open. You don't want too much smoke at high temperature. Wood smoke at a high temperature such as above 300F have a very different characteristics.  It can get very bitter.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Re: Using coals instead of charcoal
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »
I visited the pits at Rodney Scott’s BBQ in Hemingway SC (worth the drive) and they essentially did the same thing with oak. The coals were burning very cleanly with almost invisible smoke. Made for some great whole hog BBQ.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
My experience is that with coals that are past the "burning wood stage" will give very little smoke and affect the flavor little or none...

It's a great plan if ya have tons of wood and tons of time...
Or you could get the same results burning lump charcoal...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 06:18:01 AM »

For high temperature cooking, this method works great especially for indirect  cooking without the lid  or at the very least partially cracked open. You don't want too much smoke at high temperature. Wood smoke at a high temperature such as above 300F have a very different characteristics.  It can get very bitter.

I use wood chunks at high temps and haven’t noticed any ill effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 06:18:34 AM »

My experience is that with coals that are past the "burning wood stage" will give very little smoke and affect the flavor little or none...

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »
When I had a travel stick burner smoker, that's what we did for long cooks.  We started our cooks with kingsford blue bag.  We'd place logs on top, let them burnoff and when the temp and thick smoke burned down, we'd settle in at 250.  As we monitored the temp, we would always ensure a log was next to coals so that the log dried out without it going to combustion, this ensures when we placed it on top of our nice wood coal bed, the bitterness was minimized by pre drying the log next to the coal bed.  Remember, the water in wood must evaporate before other gasses can be driven off, this is the thick white smoke.  Think of it like water vapor carrying off all the particulate matter, after that you're looking at the good stuff as the wood moves to combustion, or rather like actual charcoal.  But as others have said, you gotta have lots of time and wood.  It is fun and just another way to make smokey meats.  Good luck 
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 04:41:33 AM »

^This^

Lump is the way to go IMHO...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.