Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash sweep problems.  (Read 863 times)

KEVHES

• Smokey Joe
Ash sweep problems.
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »
I’ve got an early 80’s 18 I’m trying to bring back to life, I’m currently dealing with the ash sweep. What’s left of it is rotted and rusted away. I know finding the old style is nearly impossible. Is there a way of easily converting to the newer “h” style? Also, what’s a good way to remove the mess that is left there? I tried the search without any significant luck. Thanks in advance.
Smokey joe. 18” kettle. 22.5” kettle. “Weber” UDS 55 gallon. 22.5 Weber performer.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Ash sweep problems.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
I know finding the old style is nearly impossible. Is there a way of easily converting to the newer “h” style?

Not entirely impossible.  You could find another 18, say from the 90s or early 2000s and use the ash sweepers.
Otherwise, yes, the "h" style will work.

what’s a good way to remove the mess that is left there?

I recommend an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.  That's what I have used on multiple occasions.

IMG_2627.jpg" border="0

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
Grinder, Dremel, whatever you have to cut off the bar will work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »

If your 18" doesn't have an ash bucket, the new H style (#7443) will replace the old thumb screw type with no conversion needed.  If you don't have a angle grinder or Dremel, a hacksaw works fine. Just cut the rod off on both sides, flush to the nut.

Once both ends of the rod are cut off, tap the nut with a hammer and the whole assembly will drop through the hole.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

KEVHES

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »
Thank you guys! Got it done a lot easier than it looked like it would be. My mini project will be done tonight thanks to that not holding me up!
Smokey joe. 18” kettle. 22.5” kettle. “Weber” UDS 55 gallon. 22.5 Weber performer.