Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lime rescued from the dumpster  (Read 5390 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Lime rescued from the dumpster
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 12:20:52 PM »

Spun a chicken the other night for my first cook on this lime. The photo may not show it but there is definitely a color change. The limes don't get darker like a red but there is a change in the shade of color. Next time I cook on it I will photograph another lime lid next to it while cooking.

Of all the kettle colors, I think the black rotisserie ring looks best on a key lime.

After this cook, I knew I could not leave the triangle all rusted like it was.  Once I took the wheels off, figured why not paint the whitewalls too.  Oh, and might as well sand and refinish the lid handle. So much for my "Think this is as far as I will go" statement. (lol) I swear this one will be cooked on again though.

Warmed up enough today so I could clean the exterior.  Think this is as far as I will go.  It is going to be a cooker and I find if I do a full restoration I'm reluctant to cook on it. 

This is my first two rivet handle I have tackled.  Sanded it lightly with #0000 steel wool and then applied two coats of Tung oil. Really happy with the results.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
Man that is really nice!!!

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 02:18:28 PM »
You do nice work Jim. The lime is alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 05:02:53 PM »
Wow that looks amazing! Can you tell me more about the power drill attachment? That looks like it will make cleaning a triangle alot faster!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
Lime rescued from the dumpster
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 07:12:28 PM »
What kind of paint did you use
For wheels

Webers rule

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »
Beautiful kettle .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »
Wow that looks amazing! Can you tell me more about the power drill attachment? That looks like it will make cleaning a triangle alot faster!

It is a bell style wire brush attachment for drills.  Works great on rusty triangles. Unfortunately, not on this triangle. The rust was to thick.  It worked on the outer rods but the inner rods and axle all had to have the rust removed by razor scraping.  Home Depot carries them.       

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-Pro-3-in-Wire-Cup-Brush-PWW030CUPD01G/202831066

What kind of paint did you use
For wheels

Rust-Oleum satin white.  Painted the white walls by hand with a small, model paint brush.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:43:54 PM by Cellar2ful »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 02:45:53 AM »
Beautiful Jim!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 03:36:05 AM »

It is a bell style wire brush attachment for drills.  Works great on rusty triangles. Unfortunately, not on this triangle. The rust was to thick.  It worked on the outer rods but the inner rods and axle all had to have the rust removed by razor scraping.  Home Depot carries them.       

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-Pro-3-in-Wire-Cup-Brush-PWW030CUPD01G/202831066

Thanks!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
Wow great score and cleanup!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 04:55:34 AM »
That might be the best looking chicken I’ve seen yet. You’ve really got that down to a science.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 05:32:32 AM »
A sweet lime. No sugar required.
regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »

The legs on this lime were badly corroded.

Probably the worst I have seen to date.

Because this kettle is going to be a cooker, I had planned on just leaving them in this condition.  That is until @Heyjude was over my house and commented "You've gone this far, why not restore the legs"?  Thanks for that AJ.

All ready to cook on again but looking much better.

Because the chrome was so badly damaged and rather than repainting the triangle, I am trying something different this time.  Once all the rust was removed, I sprayed the triangle with clear Rust-Oleum. I am hoping this will deter rust from returning since this lime will be stored outside in the elements.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »
That's a beauty, fantastic resto. Good idea on the triangle too. I may give that a try. Thanks! The limes really do it for me.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 08:10:16 PM »
Beautiful job!  What did you use on the legs?  I couldn't get the legs on the Cabin Cado that shiny.