Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22 Inch Red LE - Purchased 2 at Walmart; Returned 2  (Read 1379 times)

neocacher

• Smokey Joe
22 Inch Red LE - Purchased 2 at Walmart; Returned 2
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »
Purchased 2 at Walmart by Mail Order to be delivered to local store.  Opened them both at the store.  Both had issues with the finish. Tiny bubble, black showing through, even red flakes on the inside of the bottom bowl of one of them.  Returned them both.
How do you know if you are going to get a good one or not.  Thought issue was fixed.  This may be old stock, but how do you know?  Called Weber to talk to supervisor, but no luck.  Took my name, but what are they going to do?  Want photos etc??  Too much hassle.  Maybe they will give me a free one, but I doubt it.  Oh well, just not meant to be I guess.  Maybe I will order 2 more from Walmart and probably return both of them.  Maybe if Walmart calls Weber, something will be done.  I know, I took a chance, actually 2 chances and both failed.  Probably crazy to order 2 more and see what I get.  PLUS, you never know what heat will do to the finish.   Probably best just to pass on these? Too bad!  What DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: 22 Inch Red LE - Purchased 2 at Walmart; Returned 2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
What DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO?

Go buy a black kettle and never look back …. You will thank me later.  8) :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
Maybe find a store that stocks them so you can inspect before purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:37:38 PM by HoosierKettle »

neocacher

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »

I don't really need another kettle, have 2 plus a Performer Deluxe.  Just wanted a perfect red one.  Guess its not in the cards for me.  BTW,  Supervisor from Weber was not too helpful on the phone.  Photos required, etc.  and if a panel of quality control people think it is bad enough, they may replace parts.  HAHA.  no thanks.  too risky.  Weber screwed up big on this one.  But we all know it.  Red LE = FAIL unless you get lucky.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:27:34 PM »
@neocacher, If there is a Lowe's or Home Depot near you that carries the Red LE, ask if you can inspect it before purchasing it. That's what I did before I purchased mine from my local Lowe's. Some Lowe's & HD even have the Red LE currently on sale at a $149.99. Or, you can now purchase the Red LE directly from Weber. Call them and ask for their quality assurance team to inspect it before they send it to you. You'll be paying the full $199 price though. 

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »
My local Home Depot has one setup in the store so I inspected the fit and finish last weekend. Looked good to me!

Maybe consider an older red one? Or like @MacEggs said....buy a black one. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »
Buy a vintage red

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 06:18:52 PM »
Buy a vintage red

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

This. All day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
Again, don't believe the hype.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 05:15:39 AM »

For sure, no quality issues like the Red LE buying black kettle. Only problem is no Black LE offered. But than, to me, even the Red LE is not a true limited edition when it can be had from Walmart, Lowes, and Homedepot and on-line. Still, $149 for a brand new LE kettle with a same MT legs, triangle, LE wheels, ash bucket, and the LE logo thermo in Red color for the same price as a new OTG with no True Red offered is a great deal in my book.

Just go to Homedepot or Lowes where you can inspect before buying. 

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 05:35:46 AM »
Yup. If you need one that bad, go look at one locally... hands on inspection is the best.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.