Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Attaching Ash Ring  (Read 1294 times)

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Attaching Ash Ring
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
Has anyone used the bailing wire method or something similar to attach the ash ring after ditching the cross bar? 
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/salvaging-the-old-style-ash-ring/msg46620/#msg46620

Would stainless steel zip ties work just as well?
http://a.co/5Cm6Su9

Any tips would be appreciated.  I really want to salvage the old ring and bucket. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:19:13 PM by Seth1025 »

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
Re: Attaching Ash Ring
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
I've used wire to attach and it worked fine.  Use some needle-nose pliers to twist each one tight.  I've also read folks us stainless steel hose clamps.  I was going to try the hose clamps, but ended up selling that particular performer before making the switch. 
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
I sourced a reproduction cross bar support from Zavodd44 last year, not sure if he still makes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »
watching with great interest
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »

I've used wire to attach and it worked fine.  Use some needle-nose pliers to twist each one tight.  I've also read folks us stainless steel hose clamps.  I was going to try the hose clamps, but ended up selling that particular performer before making the switch.
I saw the hose clamps mod but it looked like I would need the newer ash ring with the leg socket tabs for it to work with the clamps. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »

I sourced a reproduction cross bar support from Zavodd44 last year, not sure if he still makes them.

I’ve got the original crossbar but the thumbscrew sweeps are toast so I’m going to have to go to the newer Hdrive sweeps.  And from what I found it didn’t look like new sweeps would have enough clearance to work with the crossbar.   Could you gain enough clearance by leaving off the lower locking H disk ? Or would the handle not stay locked in without it?

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 07:51:43 AM »

I’ve got the original crossbar but the thumbscrew sweeps are toast so I’m going to have to go to the newer Hdrive sweeps.  And from what I found it didn’t look like new sweeps would have enough clearance to work with the crossbar.   Could you gain enough clearance by leaving off the lower locking H disk ? Or would the handle not stay locked in without it?

I've done the old-to-new switch w/o the bar, but I can't remember if it was herculean force which allowed the parts to fit as they should, or if I left something off so things would fit. I DO remember that it all works well enough, whatever I did.  ;D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 08:06:51 AM »
 I saw the hose clamps mod but it looked like I would need the newer ash ring with the leg socket tabs for it to work with the clamps [/quote]

I'm not sure the hose clamps wouldn't work.  On my 2nd Gen Performer (which I no longer have), I replaced the sweeper fins with the current model fins.  It was at that time that I discovered the ash catcher was attached by wire.  I rewired it and then later learned about the hose clamps.  My 2nd Gen Performer didn't have legs, but from my memory, I don't see why hose clamps wouldn't work.  Couldn't you just use a larger hose clamp and run it around the outside of the leg socket?  I think you can get clamps at home depot for a buck or two to find out. 
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP