Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help needed!  (Read 1919 times)

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Help needed!
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
Thnx to @vwenguy (my dear friend Matt) I've scored yesterday a Weber Sears economy. That happened in the Netherlands which is rather close to a miracle...[emoji6] It's a weathered warrior which was standing approx. 10 years outside and at the same time a beauty which needs some attention. I can clean it, fix the handles but for one thing I will not have a solution - and, as you most probably can guess, it's the internal ash pan which is in a very bad shape. Is there somebody who could help me with it?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Re: Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
A sears economy had no spokes on the triangle
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »
But it's definitely not HC. I'm more than sure that it's Sears economy, or?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:02:40 AM »
But it's definitely not HC. I'm more than sure that it's Sears economy, or?

Why are you convinced that it isn't a Happy Cooker? The shapes of the handles, sockets, and vents remind me very much of a Happy Cooker. The addition of an internal ash pan pretty much seals the deal for me.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 04:39:06 AM »
looks like a HC to me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 04:54:53 AM »
If I'm not mistaking HC had different shape of lid vent + marking on it (Weber didn't). Furthermore, there is a letter code on all 3 bowl vents and additionally, HC was using 2 screws on the handle (here it's only 1). That's why I'm (ok not 100% but almost 100%) sure that it's sears economy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:05:42 AM by qrczak1 »

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 04:57:59 AM »
I will take off the lid handle and give it a cleanup this evening. Let's see if I can find any branding on it.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 05:39:09 AM »
And, BTW, according at least to the schematics available on Weber's webpage, Sears economy model had spokes on the triangle.

Weber-Sears-economy.jpg" border="0

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 11:41:13 AM »
Looks like the ash catcher is rounded so unless they are easily found used, I think it could be easily fabricated by someone with a planishing hammer and some basic sheet metal fabricating skills. In case anyone is interested in this technique, I included the video link to planishing below. Imagine recreating an entire missing part on an original 50s Weber with one of these! Anyway, my apologies to those who know all the vintage terminology and availability. Not my strong point yet. Enjoy the fix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK0oGJEf1Hk

26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »
If I'm not mistaking HC had different shape of lid vent + marking on it (Weber didn't). Furthermore, there is a letter code on all 3 bowl vents and additionally, HC was using 2 screws on the handle (here it's only 1). That's why I'm (ok not 100% but almost 100%) sure that it's sears economy.
I have looked at some pictures I have and the diagram that you shared, and I believe that you are correct.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:07:09 AM »
Looks like the ash catcher is rounded so unless they are easily found used, I think it could be easily fabricated by someone with a planishing hammer and some basic sheet metal fabricating skills. In case anyone is interested in this technique, I included the video link to planishing below. Imagine recreating an entire missing part on an original 50s Weber with one of these! Anyway, my apologies to those who know all the vintage terminology and availability. Not my strong point yet. Enjoy the fix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK0oGJEf1Hk
Thnx a lot[emoji106]

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:31 AM »
I always thought that the Sears kettles had a ridge in the bowl to hold the cooking grate same as smokey joes?

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 06:59:19 AM »
I always thought that the Sears kettles had a ridge in the bowl to hold the cooking grate same as smokey joes?

You guys forget there were grills sold at JC Penney and I believe Montgomery Wards as well
I think the Penneys grills had the ridge.
Unfortunately, all were basic black grills...  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »
Were they all made by weber?

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 06:09:27 AM »
I cleaned up the lid handle but no branding found. As I really want to know 100% what is it, I will get in touch directly with Weber. I hope they can help somehow.