Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just Scored Free 18". What kind of setup are you using on the 18"  (Read 1354 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
Although it's just a standard issue black AH (2014) model, it's a fun score cause it was free.  I haven't had time to clean it up, but it's in great condition, no dings, no rust, good and operating fins, and pretty much in excellent condition - just dirty.

I've got a 26" and 22" with sharing a slow n sear between them.  I'm wondering what kind of setups some of you are using in these 18" models?  Or are these best for straight old school direct grilling and indirect with the coals off to one side. 

18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: Just Scored Free 18". What kind of setup are you using on the 18"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »
I regularly use charcoal baskets, good ol direct, and the vortex in mine. Love the 18's!
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Or sns charcoal basket is very good fit for 18 inch kettle

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Congrats!  Add your freebie to this thread:  Rescue Mission "18"
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=34879

This is my 18” setup: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=33929

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  I'm on the verge of getting my first 18, and was thinking about a SNS, but wanted to hear what folks here have to say about it.  I think the standard coal baskets fit the 18, which I already have.  I have a SNS for my 22s, and I love it.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-charcoal-basket/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:09:04 PM by Grillagin »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 03:54:14 AM »
FREE?! Holy shit!! You lucky bastage!!

Small Vortex with my 18". I don't have the SNS... no help there. I move the Vortex to the side when needed, butt mostly it stays in the middle and I cook around it. Grate combo.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Just Scored Free 18". What kind of setup are you using on the 18"
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 04:00:12 AM »
I set it up in the back of our suv. It’s the perfect travel grill. It fits right side up, with lid on, perfectly in the back of a suv. I throw a bungy across it to hold it down. That last step is important. I tried to skip it once and didn’t make it out of the drive way. The wife wasn’t too happy about dumping the grill in her car.

I say perfect travel grill because you don’t have to worry about bending over or finding a table to set it on like all of the small travel grills.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:03:35 AM by HoosierKettle »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 04:32:31 AM »
My 18 is my go to travel grill. Perfect size.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 07:05:53 AM »
Even better for travel is the Smokey Joe PLATINUM (aka The Outrider or the OLD STYLE Jumbo Joe) plus a folding lawn chair.  No bungee cord or table required.  Set it on the ground, unfold your lawn chair, crack open a beer and "tend" the grill while sitting down. 

I set it up in the back of our suv. It’s the perfect travel grill. It fits right side up, with lid on, perfectly in the back of a suv. I throw a bungy across it to hold it down. That last step is important. I tried to skip it once and didn’t make it out of the drive way. The wife wasn’t too happy about dumping the grill in her car.

I say perfect travel grill because you don’t have to worry about bending over or finding a table to set it on like all of the small travel grills.

regards,
Hal

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »
Even better for travel is the Smokey Joe PLATINUM (aka The Outrider or the OLD STYLE Jumbo Joe) plus a folding lawn chair.  No bungee cord or table required.  Set it on the ground, unfold your lawn chair, crack open a beer and "tend" the grill while sitting down. 

I have to stand while I'm grilling. Just the way I am. Don't want to lean/bend over the grill, don't want to sit-n-reach. Sit-n-reach is okay at the table tho... 8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:01:43 AM by hawgheaven »

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:37:07 AM »
I use my 18 with 1 basket. Usually to cook a small lunch. It's perfect for that. Plenty of heat, enough space for direct and indirect. It's also probably my best sealing grill so it sips charcoal. 

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
Direct grilling or more commonly I use it as the heat and smoke source for smoking in my 3-wheeler 22-inch.  Take the legs off the 22, open the vents on the 22(or better yet take them off the bottom) and set the 22 on top of the 18.  Put the charcoal and wood chunks in the bottom of the 18 and the heat and smoke rises to whatever you are smoking in the 22.  works great
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked