Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first redhead  (Read 3234 times)

Irish_canuck

• Smokey Joe
My first redhead
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
Picked up my first red head today. 18.5 ei. code. Going to tackle the inside this weekend. Any tips on rusted one touch bolts? WD-40 remove some of the rust?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Re: My first redhead
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:45 AM »
Sweet Score. Congrats. Nice first post. Welcome to the club

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
Nice score!!!

Is the OT unit salvageable? If so, do you have a torch? Can heat up the large “nut”, thumbscrew, and handle. Then hold an ice cube on thumbscrew & handle (near nut). Parts should contract faster than nut. Spray with WD & let sit for day. If it’s not salvageable, I’d just cut the handle rod flush with the nut (both sides). Little bit of light tapping & it’ll pop right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
WOW!  Nice score.

Edit, "EI" not "E" code.  Read that too fast.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
very nice find!!

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
Let me know if you have any luck or tips, I’ve got the same problem but have no time to dig into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:00:21 PM »
my dream kettle ! great first red head ! i'd do what brewtown did but with liquid wrench , and let soak with reapplying for a couple days .

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
my dream kettle ! great first red head ! i'd do what brewtown did but with liquid wrench , and let soak with reapplying for a couple days .
I’m a PB Blaster guy (best [emoji90] I’ve found so far), but have seen Liquid Wrench & wondered how it compares to others.  I only recommended what I knew he had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

I have used Liquid Wrench with great results.  I would assume PB Blaster will work as well.   After letting it soak overnight, gently tap the thumbscrew in alternating directions with a small hammer. Don't be in a hurry.  It is the back and forth motion that will break the rust free from the last few threads.  Once it starts moving they usually will come out pretty easily.  The rod is usually tougher to break free.  Use a center punch and hammer to drive it out.  If it starts to move it will usually come out.  Once the rod comes out, the whole assembly with the nut will drop out of the kettle.  Then you can attempt to pry the individual blades apart with a very small screwdriver. This last step is usually not needed though.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
even better than liquid wrench is a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone , shake well .

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
Nice looking ‘97!

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
let's see some after pics .

Irish_canuck

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »
let's see some after pics .
On the process of cleaning her up now. Anyone got any tips on removing rust from one touch system?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
Evaporust

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
My first redhead
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
+1 for the Evaporust once you get it off the kettle.  This was a 1-1/2 day soak.  I brushed everything a couple times with a toothbrush during that period.   I oiled everything with flaxseed oil I use on my CI and baked it after a cook on one of my other kettles. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:53:27 PM by nolch01 »