Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex, GBS and a traditional Chinese wok  (Read 1506 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Vortex, GBS and a traditional Chinese wok
« on: January 07, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
To start off, I must confess that I don't yet own any of the items listed in the title. I love my webers, and have always made due with the standard hinged grates.
Recently I've wanted to try my hand at more Chinese cooking with a proper, traditional wok. My glass top range won't do it, so I've thought about making a wok stove out of a turkey fryer burner, but I had a thought that a Vortex under a GBS grate with the center removed would probably work very well. Has anybody tried this?

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Vortex, GBS and a traditional Chinese wok
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 10:27:42 AM »
To start off, I must confess that I don't yet own any of the items listed in the title. I love my webers, and have always made due with the standard hinged grates.
Recently I've wanted to try my hand at more Chinese cooking with a proper, traditional wok. My glass top range won't do it, so I've thought about making a wok stove out of a turkey fryer burner, but I had a thought that a Vortex under a GBS grate with the center removed would probably work very well. Has anybody tried this?

Yes, it works well. I bought this in an 18" version for my 22" kettles: https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/wok-two-steel-handles/

Very affordable and well built.

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:53:33 PM »
It does not work. The wok sits too low in the gbs and blocks the vortex opening.

It works really well with the Vortex in a wok ring on top of the grate. Do not need the gbs.

The woks at the Wokshop are excellent. I would consider one with a handle.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:59:34 PM by ClubChapin »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I didn't think of getting a wok ring, but it only makes sense.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
M.V. Trading JPIW39 Japanese Iron Pow Wok Heavy Duty Iron with Commercial Grade Handle, 39cm (15.35-Inches) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6A5Q5M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_t2SuAbCTSJ1DM

Not a Chinese wok, but much better.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 05:57:09 PM »
I didn't think of getting a wok ring, but it only makes sense.

I use 2, one to cook with and one to hold a hot wok off the flame or on the the counter. I like the wire one better that the stamped one for cooking with the Vortex. The stamped one blocks too much air/heat flow.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/wire-frame-wok-ring/

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:00:30 AM »
Most of my research has been through The Wok Stop, so I've had every intention of buying items through them.
That Japanese wok does look pretty nice, but mostly that's because of the dark finish that I bet is oil to prevent rust during transit. It's a spun wok, not hammered, and I'll assume it's carbon steel. The handle says SS, but that probably doesn't mean stainless steel.
A wok is one of very few things that I think make sense to buy from Asia. If the Japanese wok wasn't 2-3x the cost of a comparable wok from The Wok Shop I'd be more inclined to give it a go. It looks good, though.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:24:02 AM »
I use the wire wok rings as well on an old grate with the vortex and a carbon steel 16"wok
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer