Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Awesome Gift from my Father for Christmas!  (Read 2526 times)

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Awesome Gift from my Father for Christmas!
« on: December 24, 2017, 05:47:09 AM »
First off, let me give everyone a little history. My dad has always been one of those Bob Villa types who could build just about anything out of wood. Growing up, he was always building something down in his shop. Unfortunately, woodwork never really sparked my interest and I never picked up on this skill he had. Now fast forward about 30 years and I start asking my dad to make me a table for one of my Performers. I even go so far as to take him one of the plastic tables to use as a template for a nice wooden one. This takes us to modern day when I had pretty much forgotten and about given up on the request when my phone rang and it was my parents asking if I had anything going on Saturday as they would like to drive up and give me something. Now I will be the first to admit that while my parents only live a couple of hours away, I don't see them nearly as much as I would like or should, so when their call came in, I was excited for the opportunity to see them. Well Saturday afternoon comes around and they come in carrying a large item in a black trash bag (when I was little, black trash bags were always how my dad had wrapped gifts), so I was pretty excited of the thought of what might be in there.  My dad starts telling me that this took him a long time and had to restart it a couple of times but was pretty happy with it now and it was up to me to finish it.  Below is what I saw when I took opened the trash bag:

IMG_20171223_150748.jpg" border="0

I was absolutely speechless as it was nothing like what I had expected. I had really just wanted something he made to tie his woodworking skills to one of my hobbies that I could double as a cutting board while outside grilling. Needless to say, I wont be cutting anything on this. He then tells me that I can finish it as he was not sure what color kettle I had planned on using with it or he would have painted it to match. So once I decide which color I will place in that cart, I will finish the painting to match. He said it was made with three different woods; Cherry, Padauk and Aspen.

Thought everyone would enjoy his handy work as I have never seen anything so cool before. I told him now that he is done with this one, I was going to have him make one of my Camaros  :D

Here are a few other pictures:

IMG_20171223_150827.jpg" border="0

IMG_20171223_174314.jpg" border="0

IMG_20171223_174300.jpg" border="0

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
Re: Awesome Gift from my Father for Christmas!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 06:00:04 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous! I don't think I would ever cook on that beauty! What an amazing work of art! Merry Christmas to you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 06:04:37 AM »
That is an awesome gift. Just incredible wood work.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:34:19 AM »
WOW!!! That's a beauty.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »
Holy crap! That is an awesome table top!! Very cool bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »
Wow!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »

Wow!  That looks incredible!  Your Dad has amazing wood-working skills, not to mention patience. 

He then tells me that I can finish it as he was not sure what color kettle I had planned on using with it or he would have painted it to match. So once I decide which color I will place in that cart, I will finish the painting to match. He said it was made with three different woods; Cherry, Padauk and Aspen.

It would be a shame to paint this and cover-up the look of these woods, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I would apply tung oil.  It really brings out the natural look and beauty of wood and the grain.
Then finish with a couple three coats of spar urethane satin finish.  Whichever color kettle you go with, the wood will complement it nicely.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
That’s beautiful Tom. Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
Wow! Incredible gift!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
That is amazing, your Dad is a true craftsman!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 09:42:46 AM »
That is amazing. Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »
This could win the Mod-Month entry for December :)   Very very nice.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »

Wow!  That looks incredible!  Your Dad has amazing wood-working skills, not to mention patience. 

He then tells me that I can finish it as he was not sure what color kettle I had planned on using with it or he would have painted it to match. So once I decide which color I will place in that cart, I will finish the painting to match. He said it was made with three different woods; Cherry, Padauk and Aspen.

It would be a shame to paint this and cover-up the look of these woods, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I would apply tung oil.  It really brings out the natural look and beauty of wood and the grain.
Then finish with a couple three coats of spar urethane satin finish.  Whichever color kettle you go with, the wood will complement it nicely.  :D

We would just paint the actual kettle itself, not the whole table.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »
Wow! I love the details. Amazing looking table.

Thanks for sharing.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
 That thing is gorgeous!  What a great present, and even better Dad

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!