Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Workin on Christmas  (Read 1275 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Workin on Christmas
« on: December 23, 2017, 09:38:09 PM »
So i have the duty this weekend to watch over space. In order to pass the time, I am planning a cookout for all the military guys and gals I work with. So quick question. For 20 people, will 3 or 4 tri-tips work? Im looking at 3. There will be sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
Re: Workin on Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 01:09:20 AM »
I typically figure a half a pound per person in general. However, I did a bbq at work a few months back. These guys were big eaters. We fed a crew of 38 coworkers, we cooked 17 tri tips and had 4 left over. Plenty of sides and desserts were served as well. Believe me, they did not go to waste. Within 3 days the leftovers were gone!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:22:18 AM »

The folks at Spencer's market right there in Orcutt are a good group of grillers. They might be able to give you a deal on bulk pack tri tips.

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:21:44 AM »
Depends on if you are making Tri-tips as a main entre or as a part of a holiday buffet.  I am in agreement with Meathook with one caveat:  that half pound portion is when its cooked - so uncooked is more like 3/4 pound per person.  I usually overcook extra meat on these occasions, leftovers are always good for your buddies to have as an extra meal for those long shifts as well ....

Hats off to are fine folks who serve this country as well!  Merry Christmas to them specially when they are away from their family during the holidays.
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 05:21:08 AM »

So i have the duty this weekend to watch over space. In order to pass the time, I am planning a cookout for all the military guys and gals I work with. So quick question. For 20 people, will 3 or 4 tri-tips work? Im looking at 3. There will be sides.

You could get away with 3 plus extra sides, but I’d say go with 4.

Better to have too much, than not enough.

Also....every now and again you’ll see tri tips that vary from the typical 2-2.5 lb’ers. I’ve cooked 3.5+ trimmed tri tips and also as small as 1.25-1.5lbs.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. @meathook, i love the guys and gals at Spencers. I shop there quite often. They requested I man the grill this time.
I will more often then not bring in some chicken, pork, or steaks that are leftover when i finish grilling. They tear through it.

Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »
Can’t wait to see all this food!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. @meathook, i love the guys and gals at Spencers. I shop there quite often. They requested I man the grill this time.
I will more often then not bring in some chicken, pork, or steaks that are leftover when i finish grilling. They tear through it.

Sounds like you've got the hook up! Like everyone here says, can't go wrong when you bbq extra! Leftover bbq never lasts long.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »
So have an update. First off sorry @mhiszem, I work in a place that doesnt allow cameras or even cell phones. I cooked 4 tri-tips for the crew (about 15 or so people) on a propane grill that @argentflame and the weber crew donated for us about 3 years ago. Had 2 full trays of cut up meat. Within an hour, it was gone. ALL GONE! Like, nothing left. It was a huge success. We are thinking of making this a monthly thing nwo because we work with each other pretty much everyday. Thanks for the advice on getting 4, 3 would have been way to small. Keep in mind, these tri-tips were 3-4 lbs apiece! Now as far as how I cooked them, I seasoned them with Santa Maria Style BBQ seasoning (not Suz-e-Q) and preheated the grill to 500*. I then put a charcoal companion cup of apple wood chips on one of the flavorizers (which never caught and smoked even with the flame right underneath) under the grate and seared the outside for 5 minutes each side. I then reduced the heat to 400* and cooked for 8 minutes per side. The results was medium rare with some medium ends, exactly how everyone wanted. It was a lot of fun and everyone raved about it. We had some chips, mac -n-cheese, some hawaiian sweet rolls, and some tater salad for sides. Thanks for all the help here, I really appreciate it.
Rollin coal

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:20 AM »
Sounds like it was a great success. Glad everything worked out.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »
Sounds like everything awesome happened on Earth, anything to see in space @Vwbuggin64 LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill