Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just got 1990 SSP - But has a small hole in bowl - Repair options?  (Read 2112 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
I posted last night about considering getting a 1990 SSP for $60, and I picked it up this morning.  The enamel is in good shape for the most part, but there is a small hole in the bowl under/behind one of the grate brackets.  The hole is smaller than a dime and just wondering what the recommended options are.  I was thinking maybe just a dab of high temp silcone?  Since the hole is behind the bracket, there's not a lot of room to put a small bolt and washer (I think).  Also, the grate brackets aren't in that good of shape as the bent ends that hold the charcoal grate appear to be ready to break off.  What's the recommended repair for this?  Otherwise, the stainless steel, frame, and lid are in pretty good shape. 
Here are the pics.

Here's the hole in bowl from the outside. 

And the hole from the inside behind the bracket
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Just got 1990 SSP - But has a small hole in bowl - Repair options?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
Try JB Weld. It may work for some time.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
i don't know what i would do there , but still a bargain at $60 .

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
I don't have any experience with the high heat epoxy.
It appears that the porcelain is gone on both the inside and outside of the bowl where that hole is...do you have a friend that welds? they could close that off without damaging porcelain.

$0.02
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Stainless hardware. Lag bolt, large washer, nuts and shit. It’ll still cook. You did good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »
Stainless hardware. Lag bolt, large washer, nuts and shit. It’ll still cook. You did good.

+1

I would also just use SS washer both sides, big enough to cover the hole with SS nut and bolt. Might have to cut the bolt thread section down to get a nut and washer from inside to clear the back of the grate strap.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »

Can't find it now but someone recently referred to an older repair thread where the bottom tabs of the gate strap had rusted off.  They drilled through the bowl, then ran a SS bolt at the level of the charcoal grate strap tab.  The hole in your bowl is just about the right location to use that method to both replace your rusting grate tab and fill the hole.  The bolt stuck out about 1" and the charcoal grate rested on it, in place of the tab.  You just need to experiment with the length of the bolt and size of the washers needed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:36:22 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
I've filled more than one just like that with a welder.  If you can find a small shop that does odd welding jobs, they may be able to take care of it for you.  The nice thing about rewelding is that it also holds the strap down like it should be.   Too bad we're not closer (I'm in WI) or I'd help you out for a 6-pack.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »

+1

I would also just use SS washer both sides, big enough to cover the hole with SS nut and bolt. Might have to cut the bolt thread section down to get a nut and washer from inside to clear the back of the grate strap.
+1+1
I had this issue...smaller holes though.  Use stainless hardware as suggested....inexpensive, easy and effective.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:45 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I was able to use a 1/2" stainless bolt with 2 stainless fender washers to seal up the hole.  It was an easy fix.  I noticed that the all the spots on the outside of the bowl where the porcelain was gone was where the welds are for the the inner straps/brackets.  Anyone know why that is? 
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
Nope, but I have the same problem with my 1992 red SSP.  It still cooks fine.  I coated the heck out of them with bacon grease and am cooking away.  Probably got another 25 years before it really starts to be a problem.  Good looking grill!  Good luck with it.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »
probably bc the welds provide a substandard quality surface for paint adherance.

think about painting a room and painting a surface area that is substandard surface to rest of the wall..those areas will be your first paint failure spots
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
hey thats a non gas assist ssp...nice less common model you got there...congrats
Grills