Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First ABT Attempt  (Read 2384 times)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
First ABT Attempt
« on: December 12, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »
Sunday night I tried making some atomic buffalo turds for the first time. Stuffed the jalapeños with cream cheese, a touch of shredded cheddar, spiced with some homemade rib rub, and wrapped in bacon.

Grilled them indirect between 300 and 350 for just over an hour. Halfway thru:

The final product:

My wife is a pretty healthy eater—she jokes we’re going paleo after the holidays—but she couldn’t get enough of these.

How else do you all make these? Any toppings or techniques I need to try?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: First ABT Attempt
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »
Those look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
I make them with cream cheese,  pulled pork, some rub,  and wrapped in bacon.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »
I got a tip from @MikeRocksTheRed about adding brown sugar in with the cream cheese. It is delicious. Also @crowderjd and I believe @idahawk had a thread about putting frozen mango chunks in there as well. I’ve adopted both of these methods.
Yours look really good. Now go for a run...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:21:22 AM »
Those look really good.  I made them with prosciutto once for a different taste.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 04:41:04 AM »
It is a blank canvas... use your imagination. I have done "shrimp-acado" turds that were YUM!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 07:01:07 AM »
Like @Travis said I use cream cheese mixed with brown sugar and minced onions.  Top with a cheddar lil smokey, then wrap in bacon.  This is where I think I go a little differently than others, I like to smoke mine around 250 for 2-2.5 hours.  It take that long for the bacon to get good.  It won't be falling apart crispy, but it won't have much rubbery chew left to it either.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »
T-Roy Cooks just did a video on this recipe too.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »
I know everyone does them 325-375, but I really think they should be smoked at 250.  From my understanding they were kind of invented as a snack by competition cookers so they have something to eat in the middle of a long smoke.  I'll have to try some cooked hotter and faster and see what I think.  I usually put them on a second grate over a pork shoulder or ribs and the bacon dripping help keep the pork nice and moist!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »
I agree with @MikeRocksTheRed about the cooking temps. Ive done them before at the med-high heat range and my cheese dripped out. I even had a really good wrap on them. When cooking at a low temp the cheese stays in the pepper perfectly. You end up with little bubbles of goodness popping through, but it does take a while to cook the bacon so it’s not rubbery. It normally takes me between 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on how they are looking.

Just something I’ve noticed playing around with different cooking methods.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
A couple of our favorites are imitation crab, Tony Chachere’s and cream cheese. The other is raspberry preserves and cream cheese.
Still need a 22” yellow

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
So many options, I have done minced green olives in the cream cheese, crushed garlic mixed in, just plain old veggie cream cheese, topped with a cut up mini hotdog, any spice rub. I also prefer the 250 temp for 2+ hours. Little big of smoke in the beginning goes a long way.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
Anyone try Lipton onion soup mix in with the cream cheese. I’ve thought about it but haven’t tried it yet.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 05:17:08 PM »
I cook them around 250° and I stuff them with  seasoned cream cheese.  They are such a treat.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
Anyone try Lipton onion soup mix in with the cream cheese. I’ve thought about it but haven’t tried it yet.

Never did that but damn that sounds like a great idea.