Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Did i get a lucky Performer Deluxe with extras?  (Read 2725 times)

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Did i get a lucky Performer Deluxe with extras?
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »
Hey gang,

I got a free grill cover and what appears to be a stainless GBS cooking grate with my new green Weber Performer Deluxe (gas assist) that i picked up over at Ace hardware.

Apparently, the cover is not supposed to be included and stainless steel grates included on a 22.5" kettle are supposedly unheard of as well yet i seem to have gotten these items. I ordered this cart kettle from the local Ace and got a factory sealed box (because i am picky about that) and assembled it myself.

I did not think anything of it until i met a local WKC member here and he suggested this was not normal. I emailed back and forth with Weber and they confirmed the same thing. Yet I asure, you, for whatever reason, I pulled a brand new "free, included" cover out of the box. And the included grates are clearly NOT the thinner gauge plated GBS cooking grate that i see on ohter 22's. It is a heavier gauge, non-plated 22.5" GBS grate that looks just like the grates made for the 26" kettle and the Summit Charcoal.

I seem to recall that these things may have been noted on the box but those got folded flat and disposed of right after i assembled it and knew i got stuff for free.

It also seems that i have thrown away (or more likely) temporarily misfiled the owners manual where I might have found a clue.

Anyway, did i get free stuff or did Weber change how they package the Performer Deluxe (street price new of $399)? The Weber support guy who looked into this said he checked things like engineering documents and such. Sounds like he checked pretty carefully.

Thanks!
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Did i get a lucky Performer Deluxe with extras?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
I think you have your answer? No it's not supposed to come with it (Europe only?) but yet, you did. Congrats!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »
I think you have your answer? No it's not supposed to come with it (Europe only?) but yet, you did. Congrats!

I was thinking there might be more to it than just luck and that anyone who picks up the same model (in any color) at the same store will have the same "luck."Not sure how a Euro spec Weber got to northern California but happy with the results. Maybe this Ace franchise gets their Weber stock through a different supply chain.  Next time i am there, i will have to see if they have another boxed unit. I seem to recall the box mentioning the cover and perhaps the grates.

If the cooking grate is clearly not plated and is made of heavier gauge wire than the other 22 grates, does that necessarily mean they are stainless steel? Could it be another material other than plated steel or stainless steel?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:43:46 AM »

See if a magnet sticks to it.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »

That is not always a good test. A magnet sticks to the "stainless" grates on the Summit.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 07:56:53 AM »

Magnets don't stick to either my 22" Weber SS grate or my Killa Grilla SS grate. Both are advertised as 304 grade SS.  I have seen comments on previous threads that it has to do with the grade of SS and what content of SS they are made from. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »

That is not always a good test. A magnet sticks to the "stainless" grates on the Summit.

This is correct. "Stainless" steel is still ferrous so sometimes magnets can stick depending on the alloy and magnet.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
Not sure either grill grate is advertised as 304 in my case but they both appear to be some form of stainless. The Summit just says "stainless grates" and the Performer says "plated steel."

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
...depending on the alloy and magnet.

Neodymium magnet out of a hard drive. Strong!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »
The standard GBS grate is much heavier gauge (compared to both the standard and flip up), and still plated. Which does come standard, with a performer. The cover, not so much.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:21:12 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »

This is correct. "Stainless" steel is still ferrous so sometimes magnets can stick depending on the alloy and magnet.

However, if it does stick. The results could be flawed. If it doesn’t. The results are definitive.
Still need a 22” yellow

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »
I find the easiest way to distinguish SS from plated(when new) is the finish.  SS has a dull finish to it but the plated almost looks like chrome. This is a comparison of a SS grate to a GBS plated grate. Killa Grilla SS in the top of the photo, Weber GBS in the bottom.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:41:41 AM by Cellar2ful »

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 11:01:07 AM »
I find the easiest way to distinguish SS from plated(when new) is the finish.  SS has a dull finish to it but the plated almost looks like chrome. This is a comparison of a SS grate to a GBS plated grate. Killa Grilla SS in the top of the photo, Weber GBS in the bottom.

The performer grate definitely looks more dull like the stainless grate on my Summit as well as the 26" kettle in the store. No plating evident. I'll have to go out and double check but i think that the spot welds on my performer grate are visible as well. The plated GBS grates on other 22s also have a narrower gauge rod.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »

That does sound like a SS GBS.  Never seen or heard of one.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
A magnet WILL stick to a Weber GBS grate !
Chrome is chrome and being chrome it will shine a near mirror reflection when new.
I have a 100% Weber SS GBS grate and it is a dull silver finish and I have seen other ones that show up as a flat gray.

Magnets do not stick to any of my 5 Weber SS grates.

All that being said.. a magnet sticks to my Gerber multi-tool but will NOT stick to my S’nS Plus. So a magnet test on SS is not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club