Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What to like about the new Red.  (Read 2395 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
What to like about the new Red.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »
I need to explain something also.. tax is included in the price here... wait for it... 21% sales tax :-o

Some of the photos of the Smoke Gray show it with a lot more gloss than in real life. It looks more like a platinum / chrome-nickel finish.
Still cool.

I also think the switch to the black ash pan on the new RED is better than the silver ones! It just looks better with the black pan then the silver from the ring and then the holes cut in the ring look black also. Over all just a better look IMO .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:18:21 AM by vwengguy »

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
Re: What to like about the new Red.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »
   I like that weber brought out an updated modern red that people can get at any of the big box stores. Lets just hope the salespeople point the customers towards the reds to further sales. Who knows, if sales are good on these reds weber may come out with another LE possibly yellow?
   If you left out three red kettles one a classic daisy wheel , one mastertouch and one LE and told me to pick one the mastertouch and LE would be 1 and 2 in that order, why? The upgrades make grilling and cleanup all the more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
   I like that weber brought out an updated modern red that people can get at any of the big box stores. ...

This. And if this model catches on and doesn't become a money-lower for Weber due to warranty issues I hope they don't get spooked by anything else about this project. For Weber to "look backwards" even a tiny bit, is a significant stretch for them.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:22:16 AM »
If we have total luck on our side.. every year Weber brings back a MT with the old colors? Next year maybe yellow for 2018 and glen blue for 2019 and so on.
2020 Meat Cuts ?
If they did things that way.. I would put out $250 each year to start a new collection !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
   I like that weber brought out an updated modern red that people can get at any of the big box stores. Lets just hope the salespeople point the customers towards the reds to further sales. Who knows, if sales are good on these reds weber may come out with another LE possibly yellow?
   If you left out three red kettles one a classic daisy wheel , one mastertouch and one LE and told me to pick one the mastertouch and LE would be 1 and 2 in that order, why? The upgrades make grilling and cleanup all the more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Good point. I don't want to go back to daisy wheels. That red kettle George is standing by has the One Touch cleaning with the twist on ash pan. But it also has front and rear bowl handles.

* I like that the LE Red Kettles can be modded to the classic form but still have the One Touch.
   I can live with lid handle/vent orientation.

I would like to get one of the better ones, put a vortex in it and load it with a full Weber Rapid Fire Chimney of lit briquettes to see if any of the porcelain pops off.

A burn-in so to speak. LOL
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:37:59 AM by TD »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
With all the negative pub I would like to talk about what I like about the new grill.

Thanks for your synopsis here.

Taken as a whole, this kettle has generated far more interest and discussion than the Summit Charcoal, which is the single-largest philosophical and material design change to their iconic kettle kooker ever. Think about that! We can argue that most of that is due to the Summit's unobtanium price for most of us, but there's no denying that red is the ONE color that in the aggregate represents Weber's "special" kettles if black is forever the standard-bearer.

I never imagined that would happen. Weber must have known this might be a lightning rod product among some of us.

Some random comments:

Master-Touch for the U.S. market apparently means Warming Rack and nickel GBS included. So by that sliding definition or "logic," this isn't that model regardless of color or lid bale or even longer legs. I do agree however, that the mix-and-match nature of features does cloud the marketing message as to what it comes with, or why, or should ...

Today was the first I've read that they changed how wheels attach. Is that on other models now, too?

I'm getting the sense that they figured out the push pin legs. In 2015 we read here, and I've personally witnessed, wobbly Master-Touch grills. I currently have two new/unused push pin kettles here (a recent U.S. M/T and a recent Copper) and wouldn't describe them as wobbly like the 2015s. Thread for another time I suppose.

LTD Ed. badging: Even if this thing lasts a few years (or seasons) in 30 yrs it'll still be rightly called Limited Edition. I'm not "worried" about lack of exclusivity, overall.

What I worry about more, is that some of the swankier aspects of this grill such as the larger lid vent handle, usage of longer legs on a non-Master-Touch, disappear. I guess I'm saying I hope this won't be a limited edition. And quite frankly, car makers do this all the time. Things that are exclusive (and that could include color here!) mosey on down to the rest of the line eventually.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
If we have total luck on our side.. every year Weber brings back a MT with the old colors? Next year maybe yellow for 2018 and glen blue for 2019 and so on.
2020 Meat Cuts ?
If they did things that way.. I would put out $250 each year to start a new collection !

The frustration is that they actually DO things this way, albeit with corporate contracts for the logo lids. Perhaps a green Uline Smokey Joe is a better example of a complete model with limited distribution.

Companies much smaller than Weber sometimes offer products on a subscription model. You pay large dollars in exchange for X number of product per year or season. They automatically send them out to you. It's a tailor made setup to satisfy collectors and the hardest-core clientele.

But Weber would have to think beyond their "not invented here" marketing mindset to consider it, and there's never been any hint in that sort of direction.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »
I hope all the bad hype doesn’t discourage Weber from making more colors in the future. Granted, some people are having real issues, but Weber is typically pretty good on supporting their customers. I got one that looked pretty good. Not perfect but I’m pretty happy with it.  I do think it was a cool idea to change how the wheels attach but I went a different route with a NOS set I had, just for a little old flair.  This will be a cooker and not a collectible for me, so as long as it holds up well and does it’s job, I’m happy. Here’s to hoping we all have a good experience. [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 09:32:35 PM »
The red and black grabbed me right away.  I may do a mod or two.  My Dad is a very accomplished wood carver, so some wood handles will be discussed at Thanksgiving.  A few new goodies came in for it yesterday.  I'm looking forward to using it as my main cooker. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 11:55:52 PM »
When Will @noreaster brought his down the dock it looked absolutely gorgeous.  Much better than I even imagined from the photos.  The color, I love the contrasting black handles/pot.  Ever since I've joined WKC I'd lusted after a Red, then I got one with the daisy wheels and realized how much I like the one-touch system.

Weber listened to it's enthusiasts like us IMO.

Many of us where screaming that we couldn't directly buy the limited edition MTs that they offered in Canada and Europe and they went ahead and gave us the option we'd been screaming for.  Did I need a new Red LE?  Hell no.  But did I want to support Weber after how good their CS has been to me and after offering just what we'd been asking for?  Hell yes. 

I'm thrilled. 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM