Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What to like about the new Red.  (Read 2396 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
What to like about the new Red.
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:50:17 AM »
With all the negative pub I would like to talk about what I like about the new grill.

1. The Color, weber really nailed it this is true Red right here.

2. In the same category of color, the theme of the grill, meaning the red with the black accents looks really cool. Black handle, ash pan, etc LOVE it.

3. Not sure why this is not called a Master-touch but I love that this has a lid bale system. The added height and wider wheel base is nice also.

4.  I have noticed this on my summit and I am not sure this is a new weber thing because I don't purchase any new lower end grills but I like that we don't have to secure the wheels with the push nuts any longer. The clip that you can remove easily and reinstall is a nice touch.  I can't tell you how many times, especially early on when I would be putting a grill together and forget to put the leg on before the wheel then I would have to remove that blasted push pin.

There are things that I think I can do without, like the Limited edition label, I don't know how limited this is and I think it gets in the way when I put this lid back, this is minor. 
I am not a taco handle hater but I think they need to add some heat proof fiber washers to the kits to avoid damage to the lids.  I don't like the new ash pan release method, if I had arthritis it would be very difficult to remove, I like it better than an ash plate. But these are things that weber already had in the hopper.
On the positive for new weber design stuff, I like the push pin leg socket system.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:01:17 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: What to like about the new Red.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:37:05 AM »
With all the negative pub I would like to talk about what I like about the new grill.

1. The Color, weber really nailed it this is true Red right here.

2. In the same category of color, the theme of the grill, meaning the red with the black accents looks really cool. Black handle, ash pan, etc LOVE it.

3. Not sure why this is not called a Master-touch but I love that this has a lid bale system. The added height and wider wheel base is nice also.

4.  I have noticed this on my summit and I am not sure this is a new weber thing because I don't purchase any new lower end grills but I like that we don't have to secure the wheels with the push nuts any longer. The clip that you can remove easily and reinstall is a nice touch.  I can't tell you how many times, especially early on when I would be putting a grill together and forget to put the leg on before the wheel then I would have to remove that blasted push pin.

There are things that I think I can do without, like the Limited edition label, I don't know how limited this is and I think it gets in the way when I put this lid back, this is minor. 
I am not a taco handle hater but I think they need to add some heat proof fiber washers to the kits to avoid damage to the lids.  I don't like the new ash pan release method, if I had arthritis it would be very difficult to remove, I like it better than an ash plate. But these are things that weber already had in the hopper.
On the positive for new weber design stuff, I like the push pin leg socket system.

I don't own the new Red, butt have been thinking about one. Butt, I have 3 tacos and I agree with the fiber washer deal, which I am in the process of fixing, and I really don't like the new ash pan either... What a PITA!! They were definitely not thinking of their full audience, especially with older folks when they introduced that system.  :o
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:40:16 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 05:09:35 AM »
Hard to do without saying what one doesn't like.  I like the cadmium red color.. I like the black handles and that they didn't have Master Touch on them. I think that is silly. I like the black wheels a lot better than the Master Touch wheels with the gray hubcaps. I like the black bottom triangle. I like the black ash pot and I hope the finish is durable like the ones Weber used to make. I like that the traditional shape of the 22 kettle bowl and lid did not change  This is off subject but I really wish if Weber is going to bring back a classic color they would bring it on a classic kettle. Yes the original Silver or Non premium model. No thermometer. No lid bail-just the hook under the lid and no rear bowl handle. With the standard shorter legs and 6" wheels. And with a classic twist ash pan. That would be so easy for Weber for to reproduce. Oh and finally with the handle and lid vent in the classic orientation. I would have paid $200 for that. Like the one George is posing with in his suit and bow tie. The classic twist ash pan would be a great accessory to offer separately. So would replacement black handles instead of gray.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 05:23:31 AM »
Hard to do without saying what one doesn't like.  I like the cadmium red color.. I like the black handles and that they didn't have Master Touch on them. I think that is silly. I like the black wheels a lot better than the Master Touch wheels with the gray hubcaps. I like the black bottom triangle. I like the black ash pot and I hope the finish is durable like the ones Weber used to make. I like that the traditional shape of the 22 kettle bowl and lid did not change  This is off subject but I really wish if Weber is going to bring back a classic color they would bring it on a classic kettle. Yes the original Silver or Non premium model. No thermometer. No lid bail-just the hook under the lid and no rear bowl handle. With the standard shorter legs and 6" wheels. And with a classic twist ash pan. That would be so easy for Weber for to reproduce. Oh and finally with the handle and lid vent in the classic orientation. I would have paid $200 for that. Like the one George is posing with in his suit and bow tie. The classic twist ash pan would be a great accessory to offer separately. So would replacement black handles instead of gray.

Would you pay $400 for that? Would anyone else?  It is probably what it would cost or more to do what you are saying.  In reality what you are talking about is a total revamping of company process and direction over the past 30 years, talk about production issues, this would be 10x worse.  The changes that occur happen one or two revisions at a time over the course of many years.  What you are talking about is a complete redesign of the current production processes.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 05:46:28 AM »

I really like the looks of the wheels.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:17:58 AM by HoosierKettle »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:52:56 AM »
I said like the one George is standing by. Not exactly like it.  Yes to turn the handle 90 degrees would be a change in the production process (again), so forget that. But all the rest is already is in production in the original Kettle (except not in red). Oh and the twist ash pan, forget that also- way to hard to produce.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 05:58:45 AM »
Everyone is knit picking it for all its faults and saying it’s not worth the money but here in The Netherlands this grill costs us $410.00 ! USD !
Yeah it’s the Euro version with SS GBS grate... but for the rest it’s the same grill. Just 2x the money.
No I don’t have one and I don’t plan on getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
Sorry, I turned your post into a what I don't like about the new red kettle

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 06:29:47 AM »
Everyone is knit picking it for all its faults and saying it’s not worth the money but here in The Netherlands this grill costs us $410.00 ! USD !
Yeah it’s the Euro version with SS GBS grate... but for the rest it’s the same grill. Just 2x the money.
No I don’t have one and I don’t plan on getting one.

That is Weber trying to get as much money as they can out of it. Does that follow the conversion rate(200 USD = $410 in the Netherlands)?  Guess we are lucky to get a Red in any form. Wouldn't be surprised if Weber pulls them all and has them crushed. And they have the money to do it.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 06:36:47 AM »
No $200 is still $200 ! USD
Here they jack the sh&t out of the price all the way up to €349 euro ! And that Euro converted back to US Dollars is +\- $410 ... ouch !

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
"No $200 is still $200 ! USD
Here they jack the sh&t out of the price all the way up to €349 euro ! And that Euro converted back to US Dollars is +\- $410 ... ouch ! "

I see, so Weber gets $411.50. Hope Ya'll make good money over there.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
"Would you pay $400 for that?" Yes but I can't afford it.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 06:49:50 AM »
No I don’t :-(
I have to hustle old kettles to pay for my weberitis and put food on the grill.

I personally like the grill, the color, the wheels and everything else.
Do I like it enough to buy one and replace my Smoke Gray MT ?? No .. I’m not that much in love with it.
I’m also not in a position to start filling the garage with grills I’m not going to use every week.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:55:33 AM by vwengguy »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 06:56:40 AM »
 What to like about the new Red? 

1. I like the limited edition badging on the thermo.  Even though not really limited.

2. Color/orange peel

3. I could add this kettle to my other limited edition kettles.

These are the main reasons I got the Red.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 07:08:15 AM »
No I don’t :-(
I have to hustle old kettles to pay for my weberitis and put food on the grill.

I personally like the grill, the color, the wheels and everything else.
Do I like it enough to buy one and replace my Smoke Gray MT ?? No .. I’m not that much in love with it.
I’m also not in a position to start filling the garage with grills I’m not going to use every week.

If I was hustling kettles in Austin / San Antonio  to put food on the grill, it would probably be potted meat. Surprised that would be possible there. I guess Weber has been there for a while. Smoke Gray now there is a color. Love the high gloss. Never seen one in real life, but the pictures are awesome. Some remind me of mirrored sunglasses.