Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My wood handle 1995 18" SJ Platinum aka The Outrider (large) or Jumbo Joe  (Read 1413 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Picked this up yesterday.

Was thinking it would be nice to get a Jumbo Joe for camping & was debating on just buying the newer one because it's a couple inches shorter so it would be a bit more compact.  Also read that some liked the newer version having the vents at the bottom and the grill a couple inches closer to the coals. 

This one has a wood handle. 
It also has a hook on the inside of the lid to hang the lid on the kettle by putting the hook over the kettle side. 
It does NOT have the "lid lock support", which is the part that (at least on other versions) holds the "lid lock wire" in the horizontal position (which allows the "lid lock wire" to be used to hold the lid).
I'm curious if others with the "lid lock support" also have the hook on the inside of the lid or if this was what they did before using the "lid lock support" to hold the "lid lock wire" so the lid could be held by the wire. 

(There is one small chip in the lid & some rust on the leg bottoms)

Yesterday was rainy & dreary, so I didn't try it out then.  Today, my wife was going to throw some packaged pre-cooked barbeque baby back ribs in the oven.  But I looked at accuweather.com & they showed I had about a 3-4 hour window before raining again, so I started up the chimney vent & got to it! 

I "cooked" one slab of pre-cooked baby back ribs.  12 kielbasa and 25 bratwursts.  Basically, I cooked what I had available.  Although it's just me, the wife, a 2.5 year old & a 1 year old, whenever I fire up the grill or smoker, I cook for PLENTY of leftovers.

Based on what I found searching the forums, it seemed like nobody really sings the praises of this little gem and instead there seems to be a slight preference for the newer Jumbo Joe version that isn't as tall because of the bottom vents and the grate being a bit closer to the coals. 

Ok, this was just my first test drive, but I LOVE THIS GRILL, even for using it at home!  I set it on the ground & it was a really good height for just sitting on a lawn chair & being able to tend to the grill WHILE SITTING DOWN!  Really nice for cooking things that you have to tend to, just lean over a bit every once in a while to lift the lid & then get to work with a pair of long tongs.  Obviously, it wouldn't work quite as good if the wind was uncooperative and changing directions all the time. 

For what I was doing, I had plenty of heat for cooking.  So I didn't have any issue about the kettle vents being on the side instead of the bottom or grill height from coals. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 04:30:58 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Grate score. Congrats.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Congrats on the Outrider.
I think everyone should have one.
Fun little cookers.
I like cooking ribs with a snake on mine. 2 by 1 with Weber coals and hickory chunks. Runs great. No ash clogging the vents. Set it and forget it.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thanks.  I'm glad there are others that appreciate this model.

I'll have to do a search on the cooking method you mention (I think I've run across it mentioned on the threads, but I'll have to find a good tutorial) and give it a whirl on this. 

I really got a kick out of my leisurely cook while sitting down on the lawn chair.  I'll pull out some beer for my next cook on this puppy. 

I picked up a sheepskin rug (basically a single pelt) like the ones that Costco sometimes sells.  Always wondered what the point of these were until a friend told me that they are great for camping in cold weather or a backyard fire in cold weather.  You put the pelt down on the lawn chair so the fire keeps your front warm and the pelt helps keep your backside warm.  I know that kettles don't throw off as much heat as a fire, but thought it might be interesting to see how comfortable this method might be with the kettle, at least when it's not super cold. 
regards,
Hal

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I see the handle groove for the wire in that one picture, it's just not deep.

zavod44 can make you one of two styles for that. One, just like you have (but with a better/deeper groove) or a "regular" handle with two metal grooved inserts on the ends.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
You have yourself a great cooker, indeed.  And, yes, this rendition of the JJ seems to be under-appreciated.
I have cooked butts, brisket, and done some grilling on mine.  Works like a champ.

It also has a hook on the inside of the lid to hang the lid on the kettle by putting the hook over the kettle side. 
It does NOT have the "lid lock support", which is the part that (at least on other versions) holds the "lid lock wire" in the horizontal position (which allows the "lid lock wire" to be used to hold the lid).
I'm curious if others with the "lid lock support" also have the hook on the inside of the lid or if this was what they did before using the "lid lock support" to hold the "lid lock wire" so the lid could be held by the wire. 

Yours should have the lid lock support piece. 

I asked the question awhile back about the lid having a hook.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/question-for-owners-of-an-18'-outrider-or-sj-platinum/

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thanks for the info.  I'll probably either order a lid lock support or keep an eye out for another cheap one without a wood handle to use for parts.  I posted a $10 one that is listed up in Island Lake, but probably won't go for the drive at this time and will just keep an eye out for another closer to home. 

You have yourself a great cooker, indeed.  And, yes, this rendition of the JJ seems to be under-appreciated.
I have cooked butts, brisket, and done some grilling on mine.  Works like a champ.

Yours should have the lid lock support piece. 

I asked the question awhile back about the lid having a hook.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/question-for-owners-of-an-18'-outrider-or-sj-platinum/
regards,
Hal

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
My $15 wood handle 1995 18" SJ Platinum aka The Outrider (large) or Jumbo Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
You got lucky you found one. Last April I rented a beach house with the kids and they had an Outrider there to use. Never cooked on one before (or any Weber) and gave it a shot. Just sat in a chair with a beer or two (or three) and had a great time cooking on it. Really like the older style with the side vents but still have not found one yet in the Los Angeles and surrounding area to buy. If anyone locally has one they’d like to part with let me know. In my search for the Outrider I have bought plenty of other Weber’s to the point I have to sneak any new ones I buy into the backyard so don’t have to have the conversations with the wife on why I bought “another” one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
You might be able to find that lid bale support piece from Weber.  It's been a few years, but I found parts to replace the whole leg/bale assembly.  I also replaced the hardware with stainless steel, and with wing nuts to facilitate packing it up tight for travel. 

Also while you're at it you might want to buy another cooking grate, since that's an odd size (not a regular 18.5 grate). 

Congrats!  That's a great find.

My sister is a hardcore griller, and for years she's been bemoaning the first grill our dad gave her...  she has disparagingly called it her 'Smokey Joe'.  I just got back from a trip to visit her, and my jaw dropped when I saw it in the corner of the garage:  "That's not a Smokey Joe, that's a *Jumbo Joe*!!" 

I told her what a unique grill she had, and we lined it up next to her 22 OTG and her Crate and Barrel grass green Performer for a big cook.  Made a beautiful beef roast on it, and I hope I inspired her to change her mind about that awesome grill. 
One of the charcoal people.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: My wood handle 1995 18" SJ Platinum aka The Outrider (large) or Jumbo Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 03:57:03 PM »
I was looking before I bought it and it did look like you can still buy that part, you can also buy another cooking grate.  But, I think I might just buy a second used one to keep for spare parts.  I'm Hoping I eventually run across one in a color other than black.   

You might be able to find that lid bale support piece from Weber. 
. . .
Also while you're at it you might want to buy another cooking grate, since that's an odd size (not a regular 18.5 grate). 

Congrats!  That's a great find.
. . .

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:26:01 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal