Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SToK cast iron grates  (Read 2420 times)

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
SToK cast iron grates
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
Just checking if anyone else is using these besides me. I’ve had my set for years and they do a grate job and give excellent sear marks with no sticking. If looking to replace give them a try, they are pretty affordable for the longevity of the product.

https://www.amazon.com/SIS9000-Grill-Replacement-2-Inch-Grate/dp/B007ZLIZU4

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

These  SToK grates are also listed on the cast iron grates for the Weber kettle page. Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:44:00 PM by Troy »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: SToK cast iron grates
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »
I've seen other members use these. I've been waiting for a stok grill to pop up on craiglist, or the like, so I can get the grates and apparently also use the charcoal starter as a vortex. Good to know I can just buy the grates separately if I get impatient.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:54:15 AM »
I've had them.  I've used them.  they're great.
Except for this-
The regular flip up grates are just so much easier to handle.
They're one piece  and you can lift them with one hand or a decent set of togs and move them to the side or refill charcoal.
The STOK grates will require more maintenance to keep seasoned and from rusting and they will require more work to futz with when you're getting going.  you can also hang the flip up grates off your kettle/ Performer.  Notsomuch with the STOK grates.  My first 22 inch kettle was a STOK, I lusted after craycort grates and bought the STOK specifically for the CI grates.  as time goes on, I'm realizing I don't need a whole lot of stuff I thought I did originally. 
Charcoal baskets/chimney/boxes of wooden matchsticks/good set of tongs/weber lighter cubes/remote two probe digital thermometer.  Those are my essentials.

I don't mean to discourage you, just relaying my experience.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:34:51 AM »
One just popped up ON CL in our area for $40.  This is an example of one if you really had your heart set on the CI grates and the charcoal basket that is just like a vortex.  It's listed for $40 and you could probably get it for $20 or $30.  That's a decent deal rather than new.   

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/for/d/stok-charcoal-grill/6341656618.html
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
I've seen a couple of those Stok grills on CL recently and never paid them much attention.  Wish I realized what prizes might have been inside!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 07:08:30 AM »
I've had them.  I've used them.  they're great.
Except for this-
The regular flip up grates are just so much easier to handle.
They're one piece  and you can lift them with one hand or a decent set of togs and move them to the side or refill charcoal.
The STOK grates will require more maintenance to keep seasoned and from rusting and they will require more work to futz with when you're getting going.  you can also hang the flip up grates off your kettle/ Performer.  Notsomuch with the STOK grates.  My first 22 inch kettle was a STOK, I lusted after craycort grates and bought the STOK specifically for the CI grates.  as time goes on, I'm realizing I don't need a whole lot of stuff I thought I did originally. 
Charcoal baskets/chimney/boxes of wooden matchsticks/good set of tongs/weber lighter cubes/remote two probe digital thermometer.  Those are my essentials.

I don't mean to discourage you, just relaying my experience.

This is all great info! Thanks for sharing how it actually is to use the thing!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »

This is great advice. I would only add an instead read thermometer to the list of absolute essentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:20:59 AM »
I love mine.  The grate was included by the seller when I got my performer.  Also came with the pizza stone, griddle, and the insert lift tool things.

db130

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »
Sorry about the thread revival... but I had been looking at these Stok grates for a while now, they are available for $25.99 each plus shipping:

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/catalog/product/view/id/602

I was being quoted $14 for shipping when I had 1 grate in my cart.  I added a 2nd grate to see what the difference in shipping charge would be, the shipping charge was adjusted to $0 (maybe it's free shipping if the subtotal is over $50?).
Copper Premium, 2009 22", 2008 18", 1999 Black SSP

moosehead

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 02:30:08 PM »
Sorry about the thread revival... but I had been looking at these Stok grates for a while now, they are available for $25.99 each plus shipping:

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/catalog/product/view/id/602

I was being quoted $14 for shipping when I had 1 grate in my cart.  I added a 2nd grate to see what the difference in shipping charge would be, the shipping charge was adjusted to $0 (maybe it's free shipping if the subtotal is over $50?).
See if you have one local, maybe those outlet malls. That's where I found mine for $15.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Ooo. That's a good price.

I got 2 on sale last year and so far I'm liking them.
BBQ gloves are a must.
I keep an idle lidless kettle as a landing zone for the grate.
Great sear and no problems with sticking or rustf.

Be sure to get a couple of the grate lifting tools.
(also a bottle opener)