Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2 Restores - my grail and a Rockin' K SJ  (Read 1010 times)

robs2

• WKC Brave
2 Restores - my grail and a Rockin' K SJ
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
I've recently obtained my birth year Hunter's Pink (Red) - 1970. There might be 70s out there that are in better original condition, but I'd bet not many. This one is a beauty. In prep for my first ever restore, I found a K-code SJ and picked it up the other day. It's my "practice" before I start on the red head.

I've read all the restoration articles on the website but I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way... I'll post any of those here.

One question I do have from the get-go... what do y'all think about using a Dremmel in the restoration process?  Some things I think it would be helpful on:
- wire brush to remove heavy corrosion from grates and triangle
- sanding wheel for 2nd step on grates and triangle
- polishing legs, ash pans, vent covers

I already used the wire brush to work on the coal grate for the SJ and seems to work well. Eager to hear how others use a Dremmel.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:07:57 AM by robs2 »

robs2

• WKC Brave
2 Restores - my grail and a Rockin' K SJ
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »
Worked on the SJ ash pan today. It was roached to begin with. I had it in evapo-rust for 3 days. Took it out today and rinsed it off. Then I hit it with some 0000 wool but I could tell it was going to need more than that.... severe pitting. So I hit the right side with an abrasive wheel on my Dremmel. A little better but still rough with all the pitting. I'm thinking about continuing to sand with 200 and work my way down. If I can get it somewhat smooth and get the color out, then I'll polish it. Any other suggestions?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2 Restores - my grail and a Rockin' K SJ
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »
Do you have a large enough pan to soak grates and triangle in? Letting the Evapo do the work for you might be better than spending a lot of time with the wire wheel. That SJ ash pan is looking much better!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
I may get a large enough pan to do that addicted. Can you do anything mechanical to "help along" the evapo rust chemical process?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
I'm the wrong person to ask, having really no experience with it. But anything that keeps the liquid on the metal will help it work, yeah? Especially maybe time.

For me, the real question always is, after rust is meaningfully gone, then what? Most protective coatings won't withstand heat very well unless you like "BBQ black" colored paint.

Something that will quickly remove lighter rust is a soak in vinegar + baking soda.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch