Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Getting started with smoking  (Read 1458 times)

kevtannt

• Happy Cooker
Getting started with smoking
« on: October 29, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »
I'm looking to get started with smoking on my Weber Go Anywhere charcoal.

I've picked up some Weber briquettes, hickory and apple wood chunks.

I've found this short ribs recipe that seems like a good start:
http://www.ilovegrillingmeat.com/texas-style-beef-short-ribs-recipe/

Also any tips on regulating the temps? I plan to shut the bottom vents, and just keep a little peep at the lid vents.

Would you guys have any suggestions for a guy just starting out? Any other solid recipes that are simple enough to try?

Cheers :D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:46:03 PM by kevtannt »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Getting started with smoking
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »
Oh, on a CGA? I'd think the basics still apply but that you'd have to re-add fuel fairly frequently since the capacity is so small. Coals on one side, food on the other. Maybe with a fire brick or other barrier between them, and a way to monitor temps over the long haul.

What are you looking to smoke? I know it's been done on 18s before, but smoking on the smaller grills like Jumbo Joes and Go Anywheres is kinda a rarity.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Getting started with smoking
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »
Today’s cook, county style ribs on the Jumbo Joe! I use a small metal pan for water for the steam. This is my first Long Smoke in my JJ .. so far it’s going good with the exception that it’s pissing water out of the lid and dripping out of the bottom vent. Maybe too much water or the JJ is just a little too small ?

The last 2 hours I’ll let it go with out the water pan and see how they turn out.

Yes it can be done if you want to babysit it! Smaller grill = more work checking on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

6 hours.. I left the water pan in for the entire cook.

Came out good, next time I’ll foil rap the ribs at 4 hrs.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:51:52 AM by vwengguy »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:17:02 PM »
Looks fantastic! Love your set up

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
I'm looking to get started with smoking on my Weber Go Anywhere charcoal.

I've picked up some Weber briquettes, hickory and apple wood chunks.

I've found this short ribs recipe that seems like a good start:
http://www.ilovegrillingmeat.com/texas-style-beef-short-ribs-recipe/

Also any tips on regulating the temps? I plan to shut the bottom vents, and just keep a little peep at the lid vents.

Would you guys have any suggestions for a guy just starting out? Any other solid recipes that are simple enough to try?

Cheers :D

Seems to me that if you close the bottom vents then your coals will not stay lit...

And the go anywhere charcoal grill I used to have had vents all the way down each side...Open one hole and ya open them all...Maybe not gonna be the best bet for indirect smoking....

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
^^^^ Exactly what I was going to comment on....On the kettles keep the top vent wide open and adjust bottom vents for temp control.  I'm not familiar enough with the Weber Go Anywhere but would imagine similar venting.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie