Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: For my STL Friends - IMO’s on the KP  (Read 4017 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
For my STL Friends - IMO’s on the KP
« on: October 28, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
I tried parchment on the first. Won’t do that again. The thin crust slides off the peel just fine.

The lovely wife says this is better than Imo’s.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: For my STL Friends - IMO’s on the KP
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »
Imos St.Louis Style Pizza with No Yeast, No rest Crust

Source: www.cookingforkeeps.com

Serves: 2- 12" pizzas

Time: - (Preparation: 20m; Cooking: -)

Ingredients

2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons corn syrup (had none so I used 2 teaspoons of sugar)

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water
10 ounces crushed tomato
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed basil + more for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon crushed oregano + more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (my addition to the recipe)

3 1/2 cups provel cheese, shredded (about 3/4 pound)

Topping of your choosing

Provel Cheese
8 oz White cheddar
4 oz Swiss
4 oz Provolone
1 tsp liquid smoke
Instructions

Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 550 degrees. (Obviously, I used a Weber Kettle for this step)

In a medium bowl, whisk together, tomato puree, tomato paste, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, basil, garlic powder and oregano. Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk flour, remaining salt and baking powder.
In a liquid measuring cup, whisk water, oil and corn syrup. Mix into flour mixture until combined. Gently knead to bring together.

Split the dough in two equal pieces and roll each piece out to make a 12 inch pie.

Transfer to a pizza wheel covered in cornmeal. Spread half the sauce on each pizza and cover with desired toppings. Sprinkle with a little basil, oregano and kosher salt to taste.

Bake on pizza stone for 8-10 minutes until crust is crisp and cheese is melted, bubbly and golden brown.

Note: For homemade Provel, shred cheeses and mix together with liquid smoke

Cool for a few minutes before slicing.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:38:34 AM »
Not gonna lie, I do miss a greasy IMO's from back in the day. I may just have to make some Provel some day and let my arteries wallow in it for awhile.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »
Great pies ! Thx for the recipe. Do you think corn syrup could be replaced by something else ?

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »
The lovely wife says this is better than Imo’s.

Not sure how I missed this post. Looks great, Brian! Thanks for sharing... I'll definitely be giving this one a try.

Great pies ! Thx for the recipe. Do you think corn syrup could be replaced by something else ?

You should be able to substitute honey or maple syrup for corn syrup.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 04:15:08 AM »
The sugar worked just fine. I probably could have used a bit more water, the dough was pretty stiff. Maybe another teaspoon of water would have made it easier to work.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
Looks great!  If you let the dough rest a bit, it's easier to roll out.  A little more water helps too.  You can also make a bunch, roll them out on parchment and them freeze them.  I've done that for parties with great success.  Here's the recipe I use which is from America's Test Kitchen:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 T cornstarch
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 2 T water
2 T olive oil

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
Man that looks so good...I miss Imo's.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 04:58:48 AM »
Imos ships cheese, sauce, crusts, whole frozen pies anywhere nowadays.  Don’t deny yourself the pleasure of melting the roof of your mouth with provel lava.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »
Imos ships cheese, sauce, crusts, whole frozen pies anywhere nowadays.  Don’t deny yourself the pleasure of melting the roof of your mouth with provel lava.

OK but how do I recreate the humidity dripping down the inside of the windows, in my kitchen to resemble the inside of the Hampton Ave (south side) location?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »
You need to have a bunch of sweaty St. Louis people in the house to make that happen.  Actually that moisture is love in its liquid state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
Loving this conversation, and the recipes!  Can’t wait to try out my Kettle pizza!  Dan, it was really great meeting you last night!  Also, have you had any problems with the porcelain on your performer after using the kettle pizza?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 05:08:49 AM »
Also, have you had any problems with the porcelain on your performer after using the kettle pizza?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Nope.  My rollers haven't melted away either.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 04:07:41 AM »
I don’t use the performer, but the Easy Red (EZ) mastertouch. Easy has been around the block a few times, so I don’t get too concerned about her appearance.

Also, a KP is absolutely NOT necessary to cook a quality pie. I did just as well without it before I got one. It’s just a little more “cool” using one.

Prior to the KP, I just set my stone atop a couple of fire bricks placed on the grill grate. Keep the lid slightly ajar to allow more airflow for higher temps.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 04:35:11 AM »
^^ That looks like an easy setup with firebricks. I'd still want to use a beater kettle, preferably black. Banking all those coals is gonna pockmark that green finish eventually.