Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "Blackend" wings  (Read 1192 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
"Blackend" wings
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
After seeing all the vortex/wings posts I set off to try the same, but with 2 charcoal baskets in the middle since I don't have a vortex. I've only done wings twice before using the reverse sear method and they turned out okay. They weren't quite as crispy as I would like. This time around I dry patted the wings and set them in the fridge for an hour before throwing them on the grill. I painted half with olive oil to see if oil would help make it more crispy. Most of the posts I've seen here had the wings on for an hour so I set my timer for the same. I made the unfortunate decision to try to run a quick errand with my 18 month old and long story short by the time I got back to pull the wings they had been on for 75 minutes.

I opened the lid and they were mostly black and shriveled lol. I checked the internal temp and they were at 210. I let them cool down and ate them any ways. The good news, they were extremely crispy. Both sets of wings (with and without the olive oil) were equally crispy, although I'm not sure whether the extended time in the grill had anything to do with that. The bad news, they tasted not good lol. It was a lesson well learned but it gave me confidence in the setup to make crispy wings. I was too embarrassed to take pictures but I should have as inspiration of what NOT to do.

Everyone here seems like pros but I still decided to post this as a light-hearted "Don't be me - the food edition". Does everyone just know their setup really well to know that x minutes is long enough? Use a temp probe? Periodically just open the lid to check? Hope to be able to join the club and post about yummy, crispy wings soon!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:32:38 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: "Blackend" wings
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »
Just takes a little experience to get things dialed in. You now have a little experience!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »
Thanks for posting...
I think we learn as much from failures as we do from successes...

Personally, when I have a grill or smoker lit, I don't leave for longer than it takes for a beer run...Yeah...I learned the hard way too...

bbqlvr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
Good for you on posting.
I've had good results by adding a custom ratio of your liking of granulated garlic + sea salt blend rubbed on dry patted wings.  May take a few tries before you come up with a ratio that suits your tastes but once you do I think you'll achieve the crispiness you are after.  Keep on grillin'!
BBQLVR
Ranch, 26’er, Summit Charcoal Grilling Centre, SSP’s, SJ’s, CGA’s
Horizon offset, stick burner

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
... Everyone here seems like pros but I ...

Tonight on the grill, I managed to burn frozen french fries. I could fill a "what not to do" book, with new additional made frequently.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch