Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Today's lesson in roti temp control  (Read 1494 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Today's lesson in roti temp control
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:08:52 PM »
I made two birds on the roti today. I wanted high heat around 350-375 to make the skin crispy while still giving enough time for the inside to cook through. I assumed that the briquette temp amount would be the same as a kettle so I fired up a chimney and poured in the kettle. The temperature spiked to 450 anddddd proceeded to stay around there for an hour. The roti leaks a lot of air so the fire doesnt really die down like the regular kettle setup. The chicken was done around an hour, crispy and still delicious. I think it would have been better if the temp was a little lower to cook the chicken though then let the temp rip for the last 5 min to get it crisper. Next time I'll have to try it with 2/3 of a chimney and the lower vent closed a bit more. 
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Today's lesson in roti temp control
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:09:42 AM »
Time wise it sounds good to me, (2 chicks + high heat) I have never done 2 at once because it’s just me and the wife at home now.
My standard almost fool proof set up was always 1 chick + 2 full (1 chimney) weber charcoal baskets ( L&R ) + drip pan in the middle + 1 hr (+\-) and the bird was at 160-165 deg.  Temps were around 325-350 deg. Straight UP on the dial. ALL Vents OPEN !
Now that I have seen the light and got the chance to get a S’n S Plus and the same amount of coals are way hotter (475 deg.) and the time is about 10 min shorter AND the skin is crispy and better than before!
Given that you had 2 birds then maybe add back the 10 mins ?
I have learned that you have to measure with a Good thermometer to get the best results and cook safe!
What’s cool about the roti that a lot of people don’t think about is the forks and roti rod suck the heat up and drive it to the center of the meat and that helps cook it deep inside faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »

What’s cool about the roti that a lot of people don’t think about is the forks and roti rod suck the heat up and drive it to the center of the meat and that helps cook it deep inside faster.

Thanks for the input. Good point here!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »

I use exactly 50 briquettes and two small chunks of apple wood when I spin a bird.   I run it with all vents wide open and it usually starts at around 375 degrees until the wood burns/smokes out. Then it settles in at 350 degrees.  Only do a single chicken and it is done in 1 hour. I use the same formula for turkeys, just have to add 9 briquettes to each charcoal basket after 1 hour.  Usually done at the 2 hr to 2 hr 15 minute mark depending on the weight of the bird.  As vwengguy mentioned, placement of the forks are important.  Make sure the forks on the breast side are placed low in the breast.  Placement of the forks can be changed by flipping them over on the spit.  Otherwise it can overcook the breast meat. 

Another trick I learned here on the Forum is charcoal basket placement (wish I could remember who posted this trick so I could give them credit).  By moving the baskets closer to one side of the kettle and placing the legs and thighs toward the baskets, helps keep the breast meat from overcooking. Might not work with two birds though.  The dark meat requires a higher temp (175-185) to be done than the breast meat (165). As recommended on the Thermoworks blog, I usually pull the bird when the breast meat reaches 157 degrees. 

http://blog.thermoworks.com/2017/09/how-to-cook-turkey/

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »
Wow @Cellar2ful that’s a great idea ! I never thought of that... but now that I see the photo .. I kind of remember hearing that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
You should try it like I do it with 2 large bird's. No lid thought out the cook. Start with about a half chimney directly under the birds. With the lower vent full open.
Add Briquettes as needed.
It will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Use a thermometer.
They come out perfect.
You can still use wood for smoke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:34:02 AM by Joetee »

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »
You should try it like I do it with 2 large bird's. No lid thought out the cook. Start with about a half chimney directly under the birds. With the lower vent full open.
They come out perfect.

You let the lid open during all the cook ?

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:22:31 AM »
They come out perfect.

You let the lid open during all the cook ?
Yes. Leave it open all the way. Keep adding a hand full of Briquettes as needed to keep the fire going.
Keep the fire going like this in this photo without a lid.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:32:07 AM by Joetee »