Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any experience here with Evapo Rust?  (Read 3830 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Any experience here with Evapo Rust?
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »
Hey all, I'm in the final stages of restoring the family cado. All I have left to deal with is the ash catcher and triangle.  The grill has lived outside, under a cover in northern MN, since 1972.  The triangle is so rusty that a wire wheel doesn't do much.  Has anybody used Evapo Rust on rehabs?  I have used electrolysis to clean cruddy old coins with a phone charger.  Soaking seems like much less of a PIA than going bigger with my zapping equipment.  It sounds like the stuff would also work on the ash catcher, and can be reused.  Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ66/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I294IXR1FZER0K&colid=1YS4D81P2JXBF

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Any experience here with Evapo Rust?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:06:54 AM »
It's great stuff. People around here use it frequently on various parts. I've had success using it on old SJ leg sets.

Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:55:10 AM »
Wonderful product. Used it on many projects.

One example:

Before

After

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 03:52:47 AM »
Like Harris said. It's an amazing product. Takes the rust away and leaves the paint and the Chrome behind.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 05:02:35 AM »
Just had my first experience with this product.    Love it!

Works great for soaking rusty parts.   Also used a soaked paper towel and magnets to clear up some rust on some porcelain chips.   Not the best picts but you can see the results.

Charcoal grate.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:27:51 AM by nolch01 »

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:23:26 AM »
Here's a before and after on the SJ legs I used Evapo Rust on

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:44 AM »
What you guys using to soak parts in? A small, shallow plastic tub of some kind?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 06:04:50 AM »
I'm going to try brushing some of this on some rusty leg sockets that are now structurally weak, and afterwards glob some J-B Weld Extreme Heat paste on them.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 06:27:01 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke I just used a 5 gallon bucket and put just enough in the bottom to cover the parts.

As for the rusty leg socket, maybe it would be good if you wrap a rag around it and soak the rag. That way you can have some prolonged contact with the evapo rust.  I also like your shallow bucket idea dipping one leg socket at a time. Let us know how it turns out.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 06:52:38 AM »
I used a shallow oil catch pan for changing oil in my mowers on the SL grates and legs. Possibly for grates and triangles you could use a water heater catch pan.

You may be able to cut down a large plastic ice cream bucket or plastic coffee container to do your leg soak. 

I had luck soaking paper towels and then using large magnets to get it to stay in place on the bowel.  Should work good wrapping around the leg socket.   I would soak for 1 hr and then scrub with an old tooth brush and then repeat as needed.   I used this method on the handle welds and vent rivet as well.   

Some disposable gloves help but not needed.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:58:31 AM »
Wow. I just got a gallon yesterday and was ready to ask the same question.
Thanks @Grillagin for asking this. Can't wait to see the results.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »
Thanks guys, those are methods I hadn't thought of trying!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 07:33:11 AM »
On a side note, I have successfully re-used Evapo Rust on multiple jobs.  Just let the rust settle in the bucket, then pour the top off into your original container or backup container if you still have unused in the original.  It's ready to go for the next job. I've used the same batch a few times before it loses effectiveness.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »
+1 for reusing!

I forgot to mention that.   3 heavily rusted SJ grates, 2 sets of legs and some other parts and my 1st half gallon is still going strong.  I keep the used liquid in one of those plastic Folger coffee containers so I don't contaminate the other 1/2 gallon of unused product in the original container.  Let it settle out or strain it with a coffee filter to catch the bigger deposits.

Also forgot to mention my local O'Reilly Auto had this in stock at a god price in 1 gal jugs.

You will want to seal the rusted area with cooking oil or a clear coat or rust will return as you will get to bare metal. I just baked the 3 SJ grates with flaxseed oil I use on my CI cookware yesterday.   Turned out great.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:51:50 AM by nolch01 »

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
Wonderful product. Used it on many projects.

One example:

Before

After

Wow!  It looks like exactly the stuff I need.  Thanks for the responses.  I'm learning a lot.