Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lime and cado pricing  (Read 2216 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Lime and cado pricing
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
Hey all. My dad just saw a pic of a cabin at which he will be later this week. He says there is a cado on the porch, and will see if the guy would sell it. I told him it could be a lime, but either way, I'll probably want it. If it is for sale and I don't get it for a song, how much should I feel comfortable paying for either? No pics at the moment, so I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.  I'll have pics on Thurs. and know more about it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lime and cado pricing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Age old question bud. It’s worth whatever your willing to pay. There really isn’t a blue book for kettles. Find a number you are comfortable with and stick with it. A good grillfella once said if the deal feels good, do it. It’s all just for fun anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »
Age old question bud. It’s worth whatever your willing to pay. There really isn’t a blue book for kettles. Find a number you are comfortable with and stick with it. A good grillfella once said if the deal feels good, do it. It’s all just for fun anyway.

I'm new to this and trying to learn.  I don't really know what people are paying for these, so I'm batting with my eyes closed.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
If you search you’ll find where guys find a Cado or Lime for $30 or less and you’ll also see where guys have paid $200+. Not trying to be a dick or not helpful but the true answer is it depends on the condition and what your willing to pay. If they show up often on your local CL, estate sales, OfferUp, or Letgo then you could wait it out for a better deal. If they don’t show up often then jump now or wait the long wait. I just scored a yellow after 2 years of searching and it wasn’t “cheap” but I wanted it and got it home. Good luck in your decision 

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »
18 or 22? How's the porcelain? Wheels? Handle? Unless the owner is tuned into WKC, they will likely be happy with $40. If the owner is in the know, I have seen very nice 22's trade hands for $200+. Like has been mentioned, lots of variables to consider. And how badly you want it. Good luck!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »
If you search you’ll find where guys find a Cado or Lime for $30 or less and you’ll also see where guys have paid $200+. Not trying to be a dick or not helpful but the true answer is it depends on the condition and what your willing to pay. If they show up often on your local CL, estate sales, OfferUp, or Letgo then you could wait it out for a better deal. If they don’t show up often then jump now or wait the long wait. I just scored a yellow after 2 years of searching and it wasn’t “cheap” but I wanted it and got it home. Good luck in your decision 

OK, thanks.  That gives me a rough idea. I have figured out here that the cado is much rarer.  Any idea how much difference there can be in price?  The owner probably has no idea what he has, but knowing values is always nice.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
Like Rub mentioned if it’s in average condition for the age and the owner just sees it as an old grill then you could get it cheap. If the owner is out to get money for something vintage and does the research you could shell out a lot more money. If you can’t see it in person wait for the pics and have a price in mind that you are willing to go up to. That’s what I did for my yellow and it’s what I’ll do for the red 26 I’ll own someday. I don’t care for cado at all so I’d probably pass on it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Lime and cado pricing
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »
Just go get the damn thing!

Lol. All sound advise. You want it, got for the cash. Get it. I’ve overpaid for some and underpaid for others. Still love them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
Yep. Some were free and some weren’t. Life’s too damn short to worry about all the money in it.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
18 or 22? How's the porcelain? Wheels? Handle? Unless the owner is tuned into WKC, they will likely be happy with $40. If the owner is in the know, I have seen very nice 22's trade hands for $200+. Like has been mentioned, lots of variables to consider. And how badly you want it. Good luck!

Thanks. That helps as well.  I'll wait until I see pics and know more about what the owner knows, and the attachment level.  $40 dollars sounds like a good first offer for "that dirty old grill".

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
Yep. Some were free and some weren’t. Life’s too damn short to worry about all the money in it.

Good point.  I did just get all this for $5 yesterday.

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 07:02:30 PM »
Just go get the damn thing!

Lol. All sound advise. You want it, got for the cash. Get it. I’ve overpaid for some and underpaid for others. Still love them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Overpaid for a 2 wood econo (first find), but underpaid for others.
Still need a 22” yellow

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Doesn't matter. The guy wants to keep using it.  I was hoping for pics, but no such luck. Oh well. More opportunities will come along.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
I understand telling the guy here "Just go with what you're comfortable paying."  and I see what you guys are trying to get across but I'm not sure it's a jumping off point for someone.

Here's my perspective.
Coming from the Northeast where I've NEVER seen a yellow or Lime come up on the 20-30 searches I do every day and if I was looking to add to my collection, for one that is perfectly intact (meaning no holes in the bowl or broken off handles or leg sockets) I'd pay up to $150 for one that was clean.  Other's would probably pay more but that's where I'm at.

Now that's just me and my situation.

I understand that there's no deal for you but next time, there you go.
If it was more common like a blue and in "Like new" condition up to $100.
Blacks under $40 in good condition.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM