Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grabbed a 26 flat top off of craigslist and some old charcoal baskets  (Read 2443 times)

steveOH

• Smokey Joe
grabbed a 26 flat top off of craigslist and some old charcoal baskets
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 12:36:15 AM »
Awesome flat top!  I bought a 22 recently with a bowed charcoal grate.  I put it under the back tire of my jeep and drove over it a few times. Nice and flat now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
Re: grabbed a 26 flat top off of craigslist and some old charcoal baskets
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 03:26:30 AM »

Awesome flat top!  I bought a 22 recently with a bowed charcoal grate.  I put it under the back tire of my jeep and drove over it a few times. Nice and flat now. 

26er charcoal grates have additional reinforcement due to the increased diameter

You would destroy it by driving over it

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 06:46:51 AM »

26er charcoal grates have additional reinforcement due to the increased diameter

You would destroy it by driving over it

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Put your charcoal grate on the ground upside down and step on it. I flatten them out all the time.

I did turn it upside down and flattened it back out by stepping on  it.  Actually much softer and malleable than I had imagined!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 07:02:12 AM »
They're all plain old cold rolled steel.  Flip it over and the heat and weight of the charcoal will form it the other way.  Can't wait?  pull it out when it's hot and flatten it on the sidewalk using a piece of plywood (it is hot, after all).  Or can't wait for it to heat up and bother with leather gloves and handling hot metal, place it on the sidewalk and step on it (though usually you have to go beyond the zero point because it will flex back).. But really, there's not much magic to flattening out a charcoal grate.  Whatever's clever.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »
I just got a green Ssp and they came with those baskets. EE code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!