Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grabbed a 26 flat top off of craigslist and some old charcoal baskets  (Read 2446 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Man once the bug bites it bites hard!  Third weber craigslist pickup in as many weeks!  Grabbed an 18" sam adams kettle the other day http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-craigslist-pickup-and-the-third-weber-to-join-the-family/ as well as a weber fire pit http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/grabbed-a-firepit-off-of-craigslist-what-to-do-about-the-handles/

Now I got my hands on a 26 flat top and I couldn't be happier!......until the guy selling a performer cheap responds to me hopefully today! 

"P" code on the vent which makes this a 1993?  Also came with 2 brand new cooking grates (not weber but they'll work!) and what appears to be an older style charcoal basket.  Anyone have any info on the baskets?...are they weber?  They seem too small to have been intended for the 26er but I'm not too knowledgeable on all this....yet!    I dont have a pictured; but the bottom of the charcoal grate has some sort of rail (for lack of a better term) built into it.  It seems like it has some sort of purpose more than just some added stability but I cant figure it out!

And the whole family on the deck....all being used concurrently!:

Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: grabbed a 26 flat top off of craigslist and some old charcoal baskets
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »
Yes those are the original Weber charcoal baskets. My '92 Performer came with them, but I recycled them they were beyond use. Somebody here will know when first made. '70s?

Charcoal and cooking grates that properly fit flat top 26's are hard to come by. Take care of 'em!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »
Those baskets are based off the short run/prototype that I had the Weber R&D shop weld up in about 2006/7

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
Yes those are the original Weber charcoal baskets. My '92 Performer came with them, but I recycled them they were beyond use. Somebody here will know when first made. '70s?

Charcoal and cooking grates that properly fit flat top 26's are hard to come by. Take care of 'em!

Yeah.. not sure about the numbers or when they were disco'd, but I pushed for them to be revived when I did the 26 reissue.  They stuck with the smaller 22' stamped metal baskets.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »

The guy I bought this from had 2 brand new cooking grates that fit.  They're not "proper" but they work!  One still has a tag so I'll have to check; but he said he found them on clearance at an Ace hardware and knew they were hard to come by so he bought two!  The charcoal grate is pretty bowed but it'll keep working until I can find something else....would an 18 or 22 cooking grate fit for the charcoal grate on the 26?

Those baskets are based off the short run/prototype that I had the Weber R&D shop weld up in about 2006/7
So they were intended to be used in the 26?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
The charcoal grate is pretty bowed but it'll keep working until I can find something else....would an 18 or 22 cooking grate fit for the charcoal grate on the 26?

Flip the charcoal grate over, convex side up.

Yes.. they were for the 26.  You'll notice they barely fit under a 22 (as showing in my pic above).

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
Put your charcoal grate on the ground upside down and step on it. I flatten them out all the time.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »
Put your charcoal grate on the ground upside down and step on it. I flatten them out all the time.
The charcoal grate is pretty bowed but it'll keep working until I can find something else....would an 18 or 22 cooking grate fit for the charcoal grate on the 26?

Flip the charcoal grate over, convex side up.

Yes.. they were for the 26.  You'll notice they barely fit under a 22 (as showing in my pic above).

That's the basic game plan for the charcoal grate! 

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
That's a nice pickup. I've got a couple baskets like that, which came with an old Performer. They were rusty as hell. I cleaned them as best as I could, burned coals in them a couple times, and now use them frequently. Yes, they barely fit under the grate on a 22.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »

The guy I bought this from had 2 brand new cooking grates that fit.  They're not "proper" but they work!  One still has a tag so I'll have to check; but he said he found them on clearance at an Ace hardware and knew they were hard to come by so he bought two!

Grillmark brand. A perfect fit, and good quality, too.

...would an 18 or 22 cooking grate fit for the charcoal grate on the 26?

No dice... close, but not the correct size.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
I'm saving my charcoal grate. I cut some heavy expanded metal to fit for charcoal grate. Works perfectly!!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

wreck | fish

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »
Score!
1991 SSP (Blue)  |  1995 Performer (Black)  |  Bar B Kettle (Black)  |  18.5 WSM

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »
Nice grab!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
Nice flat top!
Still looking for one around here.

I have a set of the baskets.
Came with a '98 EZ code Master Touch.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 12:03:29 AM »
Looks great!  Congrats
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM