Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings  (Read 3572 times)

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »
I like wings that are really tender, where all of the parts are soft and easy to chew and the meat comes clean off of the bone....no chewy tendony bits.  I can’t seem to master this on my Performer. I know some people deep fry them after, but I want to find a method that is solely on the grill.  I’ve gotten rubbery skin a few times and that was pretty bad.

I have grill grates and a slow n sear at my disposal. What temperature do I want to cut them at and how long?  All, brine first or no?

Let me know your tricks! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Re: I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »
I realize that you want a grill-only method, but consider sous vide. It works well for wings and tough cuts of meat. Cook them sous vide until tender, then sear them on a hot kettle.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 05:09:33 PM »
I am FAR from a chicken expert but my understanding is that any brine/skin situations are separate issues from meat issues.

I do mine indirect using whatever heat 2 char-baskets produce. I can place them together in the middle and wings all around, on opposite sides with wings in the "middle lane" or together at one end. Doesn't make much difference. They cook until juices run clear. Basting occurs later/searing is optional for me.

All of which is to say, I never pay attention to crisp skin or whatever, so if you want that too, keep reading from someone else. But over cooked chicken is tough chicken.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »
Forget sous vide... You don't need it to make great wings...

Look into the Vortex...Buy the real thing and don't think that you can replicate it with other methods...

Wings don't need brined in my opinion...

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:15:53 PM »

Sous vide wings ??  What has this barbecue world come to …. Seriously.  ??? ???  No way, Jose.

I don't have a vortex, but I have read that it will cook amazing wings.  Go for that.

I will marinate wings for 24-48 hours, then use a homemade basket that goes in the center with a full chimney of lit charcoal.
Wings are indirect all around the perimeter.  Usually done in about 45 minutes or so.
Sometimes I will cycle them into the middle for some char, but not for long as the flare-ups can be intense.

However, you want "melt in your mouth wings", so maybe sous-vide is the answer for you.  YMMV
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Schuey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »
You Sir need a vortex ;)
It wasn't me......Well maybe it was..

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »
Either get a medium vortex, or put your charcoal baskets in the center with a full chimney of fully lit coals, plus as many more coals as you can pile on.  Let all of the coals get going really well, then put wings around the outside.  I've done brined, not brined, tossed in flour, naked...it really doesn't matter.  What matters is getting the high heat so the wings basically fry themselves.  Did some vortex wings on Saturday and at one point I could actually see the oils in the skin boiling underneath the skin.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
And don't shy away from the frozen wings, either. I now toss 'em on naked, still frozen. Works just as well as thawed, if your method relies on seasoning that comes at the end of the cook.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »
I realize that you want a grill-only method, but consider sous vide. It works well for wings and tough cuts of meat. Cook them sous vide until tender, then sear them on a hot kettle.

Throw in a couple of teaspoons of duck fat while they cook.  It's ridiculous!

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:54:08 AM »
Thanks guys. While the Vortex looks like a good product, I’ve already invested in the Slow N Sear. Is the vortex that much better for wings?  Can I get close to the same effect with the SNS?

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »
I have both. I've used both. The Vortex is nice but the SnS is great. So after now using both, if I had known before I wouldn't have bought a Vortex unless money wasn't an issue. You also can make your own from a cheap stainless steel bowl using a hand held grinder. But if you have the money, it's a great item. Just not as important as a SnS.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »
All great advice so far. I will only add that the chef is what makes great wings, not the grill or the gadgets. I've had truly great wings off of a kettle, a pellet smoker, a gas grill, over an open fire and so on. With wings, it's all about practice and refining technique. Use what you have and add to your set up as needed or to add a level of convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:16:38 AM by HoosierKettle »

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
so vortex in middle or baskets in middle--400 degrees ..how long do you leave them around the perimeter? 60 mins?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »
so vortex in middle or baskets in middle--400 degrees ..how long do you leave them around the perimeter? 60 mins?

both baskets in the middle will work fine.  60 minutes is probably too long.  45 minutes is usually the time mine go for.  olive oil, salt/pepper them up before you fire up the grill.  circle the wings around the baskets and let er rip.  there is more than one way to do wings....so try the different methods proposed and decide which works best for you.  1/2 the fun is experimenting.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
I put the full medium vortex in the middle with some cherry wood on the grate and  let her get  hot hot hot!!  Put the wings around the perimeter.  Put the lid on and rotate it every 15 minutes and temp them at the 45 minute mark.  I always have crispy wings.  I shy away from rubs with alot of sugar.  They can "bark up" (burn) with a high sugar content rub.   

My .02 worth.  YMMV

J

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...