Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: VW / Weber Karma  (Read 4330 times)

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
VW / Weber Karma
« on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
Let me start by explaining the VW part. I love VW Vanagons & Westfalias. I own 4, 2 tin tops and 2 Westfalia's. I also buy and part others out . I presently have 6 on my property. So back on July 7th I had a guy drive from New Hampshire to buy quite a few parts. That was a Sunday. I checked in mid week to see if he got her running. All was a go and he took it for a test drive to Boston and back. Another satisfied fellow Westy owner. 2 days later on CL Boston I see a green SSP for free. I contacted the buyer of Vanagon parts and ask if he goes to Boston much. He tells me he goes everyday, he works there. Asks me whats up and I explain the situation. I send him the link and he tells me that the grill is in the town his friend lives in. 30 minutes later he calls to tell me his friend picked up the grill and he will pick it up on his way home. He pikcs it up and calls me later. He said " Its a charcoal bbq but lights with propane. I've never seen one like that before" I explain what it is. Oh, I forgot to mention, he was coming back to get more parts in a few weeks. He was suppose to come in August but you know how the summer can be. Well he came today with the grill almost 3 months after he got it for me. She's a DD . She's filthy, rickity, and busted up. Lid is mint with only 1 chip in the bowl. Will need a bunch but I have a spare parts SSP. I get to restore it :) But check this out. We take the grill out and over to my house. He comes back with all this paperwork the original owner gave with the grill. Right down to the original reciept, owners manual, Weber news letter, and little recipe book. How cool is that Fellas. I 'll post pictures here as I restore this one.

wreck | fish

• Smokey Joe
Re: VW / Weber Karma
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
Great story.  Love the crossover with the Vanagons...I too am a fan!
1991 SSP (Blue)  |  1995 Performer (Black)  |  Bar B Kettle (Black)  |  18.5 WSM

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
VW / Weber Karma
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
Cool grill and even better story! I had a ‘72 VW bus my then girlfriend now wife and I travelled from FL to PA in, camping along the way. I bought it in ‘94 and sold it in ‘00. Wish I still had it. Cool hobby you got there.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:09:49 AM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »
good story all the paperwork too , and for free/delivered . 3 month wait must'v been hard though .

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »
Man that looks great!! Very cool story.. glad you were able to work out getting it home with the buyer of your van parts.

You VW guys might like this.. about finding an old VW panelvan in the woods.. getting it running out there and driving it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aoJDpkjmM

My 8th grade science teacher had a vw 'bus' for a long time. Another friend of mine is a huge VW fan and took my wife and I to a VW meet... saw a lot of beautifully restored camper vans. I could see myself getting into that..
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »

My 87 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Flew one way to Houston and we took 3 weeks to drive her home. 10 years ago

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
Im happy to see that there are others here that share both my passions. Good luck @CatskillSmoker restoring SSP. I just finished restoring my beetle wheels and selling those EMPI 8 spokes in my avatar.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »
Great story!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 04:51:02 AM »
Congrats brother!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »
Got the whole thing broke down today. Needs threaded rod for leg cross supports.
Not that bad after I look it over, Had time to clean a few items .

This is the only scar on the lid.

Bowl had this nasty stuff all on the outside

Cleaned right up. Bowl only has the two chip on the outside

Took some work but the inside looks decent. A little rust on inside at leg sockets.
And man did this guy like his sauces. Don't think he ever cleaned it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:43:47 PM by CatskillSmoker »

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
amazing !  that's gonna be a nice one '

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
Wow great clean up! Love the story too

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
Great story man!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
When he brought it there was no lower tray or charcoal baskets.
He called to tell me he loaded it up at night, The pieces were still in his garage.
He'll bring them when he comes back around Thanksgiving.
I have another SSP frame and I'll be using the best parts off both for this green. 

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 06:02:43 AM »
Man that looks great!! Very cool story.. glad you were able to work out getting it home with the buyer of your van parts.

You VW guys might like this.. about finding an old VW panelvan in the woods.. getting it running out there and driving it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aoJDpkjmM

I LOVE this video! Thanks for sharing!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.