Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First impressions: Camp Chef Cast Iron "Square" Dutch Oven  (Read 1437 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
First impressions: Camp Chef Cast Iron "Square" Dutch Oven
« on: September 20, 2017, 06:06:13 PM »
sessionsThe quotes in the subject line are mine, because it actually isn't square. It's 13" x 11.5" and holds 8 quarts.

Got this as a gift, and I know my wife got it on closeout at TSC (Tractor Supply Company ...) for some ridiculous price like $17. So I can't comment on it's normal value, nor do I know if "you should buy it."

I've used it once, making chili, and although maybe not necessary to cover chili (I don't know how much liquid you'd start with, or how long you cook your chili ... I used its lid because I was running errands around town. All of this was done on a 22.5" kettle running two charcoal baskets on opposite sides, just like Weber suggests for so many things yet so few people actually do, with the Camp Chef Cast Iron "Square" Dutch Oven right in the middle, "indirect."

Did that, because charcoal heat directly under a pan or dutch oven means frequent stirring or burning or adding fuel.

Got all that? Here's the visual:

Not ideal. Ideal would be closer to the common casserole dish of 13" x 9". But I don't think you'll find one with a lid? ("I have foil, so can make any "lid" I need!) Great, you win the Internet, now go away.

Click the link below; the lid doubles as a grill surface. If you have an extra gas burner, it's like getting another grill for "free." Do THAT with your foil.

Anyway, at 23lbs without food, it's gonna stress any cook grate that's not a GBS or a custom 304 stainless steel.

The lid has some roughness characteristic of modern cast iron. The pan is fairly smooth however, and seems smoother than my modern Lodge pieces. Nicely done!

https://www.campchef.com/cast-iron/dutch-ovens/cast-iron-square-dutch-oven.html
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: First impressions: Camp Chef Cast Iron "Square" Dutch Oven
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
I have one of these too. It was included with my three-burner Camp Chef stove.
I have used it on a grill a few times. I am trying to find some pictures, but I may not have any.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:06:30 AM »
So hows' the stove? Whenever I think I want a gas grill (again) I realize I probably just want a burner or two out on the deck, instead.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.
The stove rocks, but it takes up as much room as a Genesis. That is why it stays broken down, in it's carrying bag, in the back of the garage. It is just the ticket when you want some BIG burners, though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC