Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Clean up??? or leave as is  (Read 3306 times)

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
Re: Clean up??? or leave as is
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »
Some steel corrosion products are hydroscopic; they absorb and hold moisture, which further supports on-going corrosion.  Unless you are planning to store this in a dry, controlled environment I would clean it to bare metal and consider coating it. If you don't want to paint it at least consider using a water repellent, transparent, silicone-based product.  I have had good luck using ICE silicone-based automotive finish polish.  After many grilling sessions after my lid was exposed to temperatures above 400 deg F the lid continues to repel water after I put ICE on it several weeks ago.
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »
consider coating it.

This ^. I've used Rustoleum 500° Clear Enamel spray paint on several triangles and older SJ legs that I've cleaned up. Looks good, and should prevent further rust.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
YES, rust truly does "never sleep." Clean, polish, protect as harris92 said.

What can he do about the pitting and the tiny holes?

Is there something that can fill them in, smoothly, AND still resist sparks or dropped charcoal?

In a kettle bowl I'd be inclined to patch a tiny hole or two with a dab of J-B Weld.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
Agreed. Evaporust is fantastic. I wouldn't clear coat it, paint etc...

Go easy on the Evaporust. You can always put the part in for longer. I forgot about a triangle and left it submerged for two or three days.... Didn't turn out well [emoji22]

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:34:10 AM by AZ Monsoon »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
Listen to whatever Harris says....pretty much always.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »

In a kettle bowl I'd be inclined to patch a tiny hole or two with a dab of J-B Weld.

I have a kettle with two tiny pin holes in it.  Would the JB Weld work for those?  Does it stand up to heat?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »

I have a kettle with two tiny pin holes in it.  Would the JB Weld work for those?  Does it stand up to heat?

I have used the high-temp JB weld on the bowl for a kettle restore.  Still holding up after 4 years.
However, I don't use that kettle much anymore, but I used it a lot after the restore.  Held up rather nicely.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
I'd soap & water wash it and let it keep ITs character. They dont all need to look new again IMO.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »
I would clean it as much as possible without destroying it. You need to control the rust from further damage.
May The Smoke Be With You!

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 10:48:13 PM »
@harris92 - I recently used evaporust for the first time on a set of lug nuts. Amazing stuff. Never used it on a kettle, but when I saw that rusty ash pan it was my first thought. Highly recommended.