Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow and sear vs wsm  (Read 4627 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Slow and sear vs wsm
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »
I couldn't wait for a low and slow this weekend. I'm doing chicken thighs with no water pan. 4 or 5 on top and lower grate. I know the top grate ones will be good but will be interesting to see how the lower grate does. A full lit chimney with vents open and temp is steady at 275. It's funny because my old stock door would run way hotter with water in the pan. Gotta love a heavy tight fitting door.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:09:12 PM by HoosierKettle »

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slow and sear vs wsm
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 04:12:29 PM »
I couldn't wait for a low and slow this weekend. I'm doing chicken thighs with no water pan. 4 or 5 on top and lower grate. I know the top grate ones will be good but will be interesting to see how the lower grate does. A full lit chimney with vents open and temp is steady at 275. It's funny because my old stock door would run way hotter with water in the pan. Gotta love a heavy tight fitting door.

Really impressed with my door. My 22 leaked bad at the door and the CB door stopped it instantly. My 18 doesn't leak at the door , only the lid. Still getting the door for the 18 though for looks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
I don't blame you. I'm convinced the door does more than just stop leaks.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
I only get the faint wisps of smoke from my CB door, but for the most part is smoke-free. Most of the smoke, like @wessonjb said, comes from the lid.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2017, 11:07:12 AM »
I recently sold both my 18" WSM and my 14" WSM because I had not used them in about three years.  When I first got the 18" one, I had great success with it with minimal effort.  Later on for some reason using the same techniques and charcoal, could not keep temps up for anything and is why I quit using it.

While I have not smoked anything with my 22" kettle or Performer with the SNS, I would probably still prefer it over the WSM because of how frustrated I became trying to use the WSM. 

I have other brands of smokers with a lot more room than either an 18" or 22" WSM that hold temps without messing with vents so I don't miss not having a WSM.

Wayne