Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow and sear vs wsm  (Read 4622 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Slow and sear vs wsm
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
You also can’t hang ribs with a sns.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »
Lol Tom! It's fall and football season so I may take you up on that brother.

@wessonjb I saw your post with the new door. That is the way it should look from the factory. Your cooker looks sweet brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man ! That door INSTANTLY stopped leaking . Got it fired up now and calibrating the new dome thermometer

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »
I had an 18" that would hold temp beautifully for 14-16 hours with minimal monitoring and only an occasional adjustment. It was great, but when a 22" popped up on CL at a price I couldn't pass up I sold the 18" to a friend and grabbed the 22". The 22"s ability to hold temp is unreal. On Memorial day it sat at 250 degrees for 18 hours without a single vent adjustment, and at 22 hours was still at 235 degrees. This was not a full load of charcoal and it would've held 250 longer if I'd tried to, but the cook was over and my attention was elsewhere. IMO, the 22" is superior to the 18" in its capacity and its ability to maintain temperatures. On the other hand, they take up more storage space, they cost more, and they consume more fuel.

BTW, I use play sand in the water pan and am a huge proponent of it. The sand serves as a heat deflector and heat sink without sloshing or evaporating the way water does.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:49:06 PM by cbpeck »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:29 PM »
For those using sand in the water pan do you still cover with foil to prevent grease trapping in the sand?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
I'd like to do a side by side smoke session of ribs or a couple pork butts with my '81 WSM and my SnS+ in one of my 22's or 26er. I think they both have their advantages and the world is big enough for both. Hence, more Webers on my patio. :)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »
How do you get 16+ hours in a WSM?! I may have to look into that!!
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »
So much great information I can't single everyone out so thanks to all!  Lots of pros and cons.  I don't get anything close to 16 hours unattended but the wsm does win out on very steady cooking temps for extended periods of time.  SNS wins out on daily cooking and the fact that I simply enjoy using kettles more.  I like using water so I like the built in water reservoir that needs no foil or cleaning.  I like that i can use kettles in the rain without them filling with rain water.  However, if Im doing a brisket that needs temps dialed in, I reach for the wsm.  I will say I would have sold the wsm long ago without the cb door upgrade.  Cant say enough good things about that.  Not sure what I expected out of this thread.  I knew I was going to need both :-)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 06:02:49 PM »
My setup every time, I have a 22 WSM, use an entire bag of kingsford, light 15 coals in a chimney, once ready put on top of the pile, leave off the middle section for about 5 minutes, then put it together, all vents half open till it's about 200, shut them all down to about 1/4 at that point, maybe even close one down all the way and let her go all night long. No water. No adjusting, maybe block it off with plywood to protect from wind. I can fit over 20lbs in my 22. Probably 25. Weber and Stubbs will burn even longer.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »
A while back I did 2 full packer briskets in one weekend. One on my 26" with a fuse burn and the other on my 18WSM with a CB door. (I don't have a SNS, but I do use a large 56mpg basket for 2 zone cooking on my 26").

When I finished with the 26," I was thinking, "Man, should I get rid of my WSM?"

Then I did the one on the WSM....and thought: "There is no way I am getting rid of this!"

No matter how you do it on a kettle (be it fuse burn or SNS) you're going to have to mess with the vents, add charcoal, etc. for longer cooks.  The WSM holds temps steadier for longer.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »
Not starting a pissing match. I've got 9 hours with my SnS before. Does the WSM go a lot longer? I'd like to try one just so I could see for myself but I don't see them online often and it would have to be dirt cheap.

Fired up the 22 at 6 pm last night using a full bag of KBB. Ran 250 ish almost the whole cook and pulled ribs off at 11 pm. Added some more water and let her go all night . Woke up at 6:30 and reading 241 . Added some more water and open the vents wide open then went to work for a few hours. Now back at home and still running 234. That's 16 hours and enough fuel to go another 45-60 minutes. 16 1/2 to 17 hours total cook time with a 22.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »
that is impressive
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »
I've got 16 hours on my 18" WSM, more than once
I have had similar results.
I run Stubb's with no water in the pan. Wrap up the pan with foil with a dimple in the middle for the drippings to pool. Let the foil and fat cool, then ball it up and dispose.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 07:32:15 AM »
Ok. This thread is sufficiently getting me jacked up about the wsm. I've not tried an overnighter yet but looks like I'm due!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Ok. This thread is sufficiently getting me jacked up about the wsm. I've not tried an overnighter yet but looks like I'm due!

I'm with you @HoosierKettle I've never run mine overnight before, but I'm starting to feel confident enough to do so. On my last cook I filled my 18.5 with Stubbs, lit 20 coals, let it come up to temp and closed 2/3 bottom vents with the 3rd about 1/2 open.  It ran that way for 10 hours and another hour after I stirred up the coals.  A brisket is calling me.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
@hoosierkettle overnight cooks is one of the biggest perks imo. Love how I can cook a brisket or butt the night before a cookout now and have it almost done when I wake up and resting before people show up. For that convenience alone , I'll never get rid of my WSM.