Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Craycort grills.  (Read 2600 times)

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
Craycort grills.
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
This maybe a dumb question.  For those of you that have and use them.   Do you take the whole grate off your kettle to pour your brickets to prevent the ash getting on the grates

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Craycort grills.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
There's no need to remove the entire ring when dumping your coals out, just the quarter sections.  The Craycorts are incredibly resilient, the more they're used the better they become. 

Not a dumb question at all. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:12 AM »
There's no need to remove the entire ring when dumping your coals out, just the quarter sections.  The Craycorts are incredibly resilient, the more they're used the better they become. 

Not a dumb question at all. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I have the grates.  Love them.  I just get a little annoyed with getting ash on the grates.  I will just have to live with get ash on the ring.  I just see it more of a hassle to take the whole think out.  Then risk breaking it

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »
I only remove two grates when I am loading up or cleaning out.  Ash really isn't an issue.  You have to at least lift the whole thing to get a vortex in there though.  I don't really like to use the vortex with the cast iron grate, I have an old wire grate that came with one of the Webers.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
The vortex will remove all your seasoning the size of the vortex on the cast iron and I am pretty sure if you leave the grate in the grill and don't reseason you will open the lid to a rusty mess about 3 weeks later, I think I saw this in a movie or maybe my dumbass reality. I just take out a section or 2 when adding coals, mine is a 26 and it just weighs way to much to pick the whole thing up.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:56:43 AM »
@JEBIV, will the 26" craycorts fit your vintage 26'ers?  I'm looking to outfit my Fleetwood with a set, but unsure if they'll play nice. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
@JEBIV, will the 26" craycorts fit your vintage 26'ers?  I'm looking to outfit my Fleetwood with a set, but unsure if they'll play nice. 

won't fit unfortunatly @Mr.CPHo
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »

won't fit unfortunatly @Mr.CPHo

welll
they kinda fit
they just don't sit on the straps
they 'wedge' into the bowl about an inch above the actual grate straps

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
I agree @Troy they will go in and you can cook with them especially a low and slow which I love a 3 wheeler for and you not moving the food around and stuff plus the low and slow really seasons the grates well

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »
you will open the lid to a rusty mess about 3 weeks later.

3 weeks?  I don't think I give my cookers 3 days off, let alone 3 weeks.  ...just messing with you.

I burn the seasoning off my craycorts with regularity.  I just rotate the grates every couple weeks and spray down with pam after cooks.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Doesn't sound like the "wedgie" is a good fit for me. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 01:46:12 PM »
you will open the lid to a rusty mess about 3 weeks later.

3 weeks?  I don't think I give my cookers 3 days off, let alone 3 weeks.  ...just messing with you.

I burn the seasoning off my craycorts with regularity.  I just rotate the grates every couple weeks and spray down with pam after cooks.
I have 11 in the rotation so I forget about one every once in a while [emoji3]

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »
While I don't have 11 sets of craycorts in rotation like @JEBIV does, I do like rotating my 18" and 22" craycorts into which ever kettle I'm using.  For me , it's much easier to clean and maintain just one set of CI grates per size rather than maintaining each kettles' own grates.

We all like pictures... right?  Random Cookin' with Craycorts:

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »

Cooked some chicken breast the other night on mine

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:39 AM »
@Mr.CPHo While I don't have 11 sets of craycorts in rotation like @JEBIV does

not 11 sets of grates just 11 grills waiting to be cooked on, 1 26 craycort set in the rotation