Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: AD code 26r level at last  (Read 4516 times)

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Re: AD code 26r level at last
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »
I checked it today. Mine is DE code meaning they had the problem already in the earlier models 😏  you can clearly see the issue on the pics.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »
That's crazy. Looks as though this went unnoticed for years of models.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »

I checked it today. Mine is DE code meaning they had the problem already in the earlier models [emoji57]  you can clearly see the issue on the pics.

Pop the front leg and start with cutting an inch off the top and go from there. You'll be glad you did!

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »
I'll do but first I will contact Weber's customer service. Let's see what they can say about this issue. 10 years warranty doesn't include the legs as far as I remember but still it's a design fault so they should send a replacement. I will let you know the outcome.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:16:32 AM by qrczak1 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »
As luck would have it, I picked up an AD-code 26er today. If it weren't for the fact that it has the modern gray handles and full-cover wheels I wouldn't have expected it to be only 7 years old. Has rust at the taco handle and the front handle is held on by new bolts.

And it leans back just like that, exacerbated by the owner's cousin who managed to bend the back legs.

A quick inspection, as it sat upside down in my truck bed, seems to indicate all 3 leg sockets weren't attached perpendicular to the intended plane of the kettle. I can see a run of them being done this way if the jig holding the kettle against the welder was angled, but a whole year or so?

Already got new legs (shower curtain rods) today and will make it better than new, with longer legs and probably a fourth that locates the front leg to the axle, so that the tripod remains solid and doesn't depend on the triangle for that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
Sent a claim to Weber yesterday. No answer so far and that's unusual for Weber... let's see if they answer at all.

HalfGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/26er-not-level/

Here's a thread from 2014, Weber replaced my 26.75 bowl because a socket was attached off center and made it unlevel.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 12:12:46 AM »
Funny or rather not. I asked the CS of Weber whether they received my claim. They answered quite quickly that no claim sent by me can be found... Now they have my attention. I will not give up that easy...

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 02:15:51 AM »
If you are the original buyer and the grill is registered it's usually not an issue. Proof of purchase? If you bought it used, you can't expect the same level of service, although many members have been generously taken care of. If all else fails, name the grill Eileen and call it a day.
Retired

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:23 AM »
Yeah I also emailed them yesterday, with pictures showing measurements as proof for my new-to-me-AD.

Perhaps the timing was wrong and they’re suspecting it’s some collusion going on. REGARDLESS, a defect is a defect and either the warranty is there or it isn’t. Nothing to get upset about, for a USED grill am I right?

Bottom line, I can fix mine using custom-length legs and already have new shower rods to do so. But given a choice I’d rather not have socket legs all aimed backwards, which mine are.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 05:22:07 AM »
I would just cut off a bit from the front leg instead of shower rod. If I were to replace a leg I would use 1" aluminum which is exact replacement. 6' piece is around $6

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 06:36:45 AM »
^^ That's what I bought from Home Depot, as each of the legs on mine are either bent, mangled or just sad overall. For the rears, it's easy enough to bang on an end with a hammer against the garage floor and drill a hole. Nobody but you will realize or care those ends aren't "factory perfect" stamped ends. I will probably take the opportunity to make them a little longer also.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 06:42:49 AM »
Yeah I also emailed them yesterday, with pictures showing measurements as proof for my new-to-me-AD.

Perhaps the timing was wrong and they’re suspecting it’s some collusion going on. REGARDLESS, a defect is a defect and either the warranty is there or it isn’t. Nothing to get upset about, for a USED grill am I right?

Bottom line, I can fix mine using custom-length legs and already have new shower rods to do so. But given a choice I’d rather not have socket legs all aimed backwards, which mine are.

Got a reply today. New bowl being shipped out. :)

Here's a picture showing front socket on the left, The other rear socket that isn't shown here is just as angled as the one you see here on the right. But notice, even that front socket is "angled back" in the same direction. Kettle looked like it was doing a permanent "wheelie."

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
Pretty sweet. Attach a set of wheelie bars to the triangle, replace the wheels with 10.5 radial tires and add some twin turbos and let er eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
Ranch it!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!