Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Redi-chek model ET-72 remote temperature measurement transmitter/receiver  (Read 814 times)

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
This is meant for checking meat temperature but the upper limit of just over 400 deg F means I can monitor a large percentage of fire temperatures in my grilling and smoking tasks.  It runs off of AAA batteries and the temperature response time is not bad.  You can use it as a timer or set alarms for "doneness" based on temperatures for various meats. 

My most serious gripe is that it will not consistently transmit to the remote receiver even if the receiver is in line-of-sight and as close as 50 ft away, despite the instructions that say it will work "up to 100 ft away". It definitely has problems if you don't have a clear line-of-sight.  The main problem with that is the remote receiver will not show an obvious indication that the signal has been lost.  Instead, it continues to show the last measured temperature, leading one to believe you have achieved extremely constant temperatures. Therefore, I have basically stopped using the remote receiver and rely on the local display of temperature at the thermocouple.

I have used mine for years and the reliability has been good (no failure of the display or the thermocouple), other than the poor transmit/remote receive capability.  Battery life is good.  If you are not strongly interested in remote-reading capability then this is a good unit.  If you want reliable remote reading or dual probes (one for fire/ one for meat) then keep looking.

Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked