Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Saved from bulk trash day  (Read 1945 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Saved from bulk trash day
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
Once a year our town has bulk trash day when people can throw out large things (old furniture, couches, junk, etc). They usually have different zones & pickup dates for various parts of town. Normally a day or two before the pickup date as people clean stuff out and place stuff at the curb the streets are full of "pickers" sifting through looking for treasure (good people watching.. pickup trucks stacked high as they can go full of stuff precariously tied down)

This morning, the garbage trucks came through and took the majority of the bulky garbage. For whatever reason they sometimes don't take things (they left a few things we were throwing out).

We were away for the weekend and got home last night so I never even saw this get placed out on our street as we came home and it was dark (ugh.. traffic.. doubled our trip home).

So I was already running late for work this morning and I'm driving out of our neighborhood on the way to work when I spot a Weber! Somehow it managed to survive the pickers AND the garbage truck (which woke me up this morning as I heard it crunching junk in the compactor). I get to the end of my street and I'm thinking... Should I go back for it? I might eventually get one for my wife to try using (she has a disability)? If I leave it.. it could be a definite ending for this grill. I turned around and grabbed my wife's van.. and a few minutes later.. I rescued this:

It seems to be in pretty good shape. It's missing the grates. It's not the model with the gas starter or anything. I don't know what I am going to do with it yet.. I may just see if my wife can handle using the top, etc. Someday I think I'd like to find a green one w/ a gas assist start (with her mobility she can't handle the chimney). It may wind up finding a new home, but I'm sure as heck gonna get a few cooks out of it before I let it go.. so stay tuned.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:59:57 AM by james1787 »
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Madpap

• WKC Brave
Re: Saved from bulk trash day
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »
That's nice. I couldn't of left it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

veg8

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »
What a coincidence, I was on the way to work today and saw this in the trash from a neighbor a block away. There was also a cheap gas grill and I was about to take the empty propane tank but the regular metal scrapper guy that picks/roams our neighborhood came by so I left him the gas grill and grabbed this and rolled it back to my house, it even come with some old wood chips :)  everything looks like its there, time to clean things up when I get home from work.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:31:32 AM by veg8 »

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
I was kinda shocked to see it.. usually the metal pickers have the neighborhoods cleaned out. This year there was a ton of metal left over this year.. I saw snow blowers, other heavy metal items... normally anything metal that goes out is gone within an hour or two of being placed out during bulk pickup week. The pickers were out as late as 9 or 10 pm last night and there were even some this morning checking out stuff the garbage truck didn't pick up.

@veg8 Hah wow!! Nice score! Too funny it was the same type of grill  8)  Oh and welcome to the Weber Kettle Club! I see this is your first post  :D

I'll take/post some more pics when I get a chance to take a better look at it. I'm trying to figure out what model it is. I'm not familiar with the various 'modern' cart types. The ash catcher is the newer style.. I have never used one like that before (mine are all 3 wheelers).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:34:50 AM by james1787 »

veg8

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
Thanks! @james1787 Yeah been a lurker here, have a regular 3 leg one up till now.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
Once a year our town has bulk trash day when people can throw out large things (old furniture, couches, junk, etc). They usually have different zones & pickup dates for various parts of town. Normally a day or two before the pickup date as people clean stuff out and place stuff at the curb the streets are full of "pickers" sifting through looking for treasure (good people watching.. pickup trucks stacked high as they can go full of stuff precariously tied down)

This morning, the garbage trucks came through and took the majority of the bulky garbage. For whatever reason they sometimes don't take things (they left a few things we were throwing out).

We were away for the weekend and got home last night so I never even saw this get placed out on our street as we came home and it was dark (ugh.. traffic.. doubled our trip home).

So I was already running late for work this morning and I'm driving out of our neighborhood on the way to work when I spot a Weber! Somehow it managed to survive the pickers AND the garbage truck (which woke me up this morning as I heard it crunching junk in the compactor). I get to the end of my street and I'm thinking... Should I go back for it? I might eventually get one for my wife to try using (she has a disability)? If I leave it.. it could be a definite ending for this grill. I turned around and grabbed my wife's van.. and a few minutes later.. I rescued this:

It seems to be in pretty good shape. It's missing the grates. It's not the model with the gas starter or anything. I don't know what I am going to do with it yet.. I may just see if my wife can handle using the top, etc. Someday I think I'd like to find a green one w/ a gas assist start (with her mobility she can't handle the chimney). It may wind up finding a new home, but I'm sure as heck gonna get a few cooks out of it before I let it go.. so stay tuned.

awesome save, @james1787 !
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Lucky !!!!! We just had out " junk week" and I checked every day. Nothing but old cheap gas grills. I was very disappointed [emoji17]. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
Nice grabs for both of you!  Those are One Touch Platinums.   Basically, they are the same as non gas assist Performers, just with a slightly shorter cart.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

smokindave

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
That's my baby right there.  '00 Black OTP always garaged AND covered. loooooove that grill
'00 Black 22.5 OTP, '09 Forest Green 22.5 OTG, '11 Black 22.5 OTG, '14 Black JJ, '14 Black SJS

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
I still haven't gone through the grill from top to bottom but I think I figured out why it went out to the trash. The plastic 'work surface' has a pretty big crack that extends 1/2 way across the surface (not shown in the pic.. blocked by the kettle top). It seems otherwise ok.. the ash sweeper moves.. it just needs a good overall cleaning. I suppose to hang onto it I would replace the plastic work surface (how do you even crack that?)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
You call Weber and tell them you have a cracked plastic table and you'd like a price quote for the new metal one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
Someday I think I'd like to find a green one w/ a gas assist start (with her mobility she can't handle the chimney). It may wind up finding a new home, but I'm sure as heck gonna get a few cooks out of it before I let it go.. so stay tuned.

Maybe she can just use a few weber lighter cubes with some charcoal baskets? Just a thought.

I still haven't gone through the grill from top to bottom but I think I figured out why it went out to the trash. The plastic 'work surface' has a pretty big crack that extends 1/2 way across the surface (not shown in the pic.. blocked by the kettle top). It seems otherwise ok.. the ash sweeper moves.. it just needs a good overall cleaning. I suppose to hang onto it I would replace the plastic work surface (how do you even crack that?)

It's very common and happens when people lift up the kettle by the end of the table to move it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:30:25 AM by AZ Monsoon »