Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Steel wheels?  (Read 2086 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Steel wheels?
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
How many of you store steel wheels outside? I want to move this cooker into rotation, but my cookers are covered in my yard. Do the steel wheels stand up to weather? I thought about swapping in some plastic wheels, but don't want to damage the original hubs.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:42:06 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Was just asking Troy about the wheel caps on my Cado.  He told me you can get Nickel wheel caps at Lowe's.  Was worried about messing mine up if I take them off so I can polish my legs. 

You can go first!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
Was more worried about the wheels and rubber tread. Mine are near mint. As are someone else's …
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:41:03 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »
Mine need work.  I'm hoping to find a antique/vintage toy restoration place that will retread the wheels.  I'll let you know if I find a place. I'm just afraid of the cost if I do find a place.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »
And yes, steel wheels stand up.  Mine are at least 50 years old!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
I'm thinking mine is ~62'. The other is in my shead, out of the weather. Awaiting pickup.
Still need a 22” yellow

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Steel wheels?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 05:48:37 AM »
Are planning on restoring them? I bet if you restored them they'd last another 50 years.
Well maybe not the thread...I don't know, good question [emoji3][emoji51]
I would think if you have them on a patio or hard surface they'd last longer than in the grass

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
Are planning on restoring them? I bet if you restored them they'd last another 50 years.
Well maybe not the thread...I don't know, good question [emoji3][emoji51]
I would think if you have them on a patio or hard surface they'd last longer than in the grass

They are near mint to start with. It would be stored on grass, and that was my concern.
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
So I managed to get my hubs off on Sunday.  It took some careful prying with a screw driver but I eventually  got them off.  I actually had to have one screw driver under the hub then another one perpendicular to it agains the wheel so I could pry better.   Too much space otherwise to affectively pry.  I'll see if I can go and and take a pic to explain this.  Once I got the wheels off I used 0000 steel wool and distilled white vinegar. 

I'll go outside now and see if I can get a pic of how I used the screwdrivers to pry the hubs off.   Not going to put the hubs back on yet since I'm working on the triangle still but I should be able to capture the general concept.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
Like this, but with the hub on there I was able to use a hand on each screwdriver instead of my leg to hold one of them like I had to do in the pic.  Just slowly work all the way around until they finally popped off. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »
I would say it is worth putting some plastic wheels on when you aren't showing it off.  Get a bag of plastic end caps for those so you don't have to worry about damaging them when you are taking the plastic wheels off to put the steel ones back on.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »
I would say it is worth putting some plastic wheels on when you aren't showing it off.  Get a bag of plastic end caps for those so you don't have to worry about damaging them when you are taking the plastic wheels off to put the steel ones back on.

Thanks man. Part of me says I should. The other part knows only me and my girl would ever notice. I think she will just live in the garage in winter months. When she is on rotation, the wheels will get a weekly coating of oil. There is one good rust spot, on one wheel. Long as I can keep that in check... She will be a cooker. What's the point in having them, if they don't serve their purpose?
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »
@Craig @zavod44 @harris92 any opinions?
Still need a 22” yellow

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 08:03:58 PM »
I put it together and store them outside.  They start to rust a little.... Such is life

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X