Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A long post about kettle karma, grillfellas, and peak collection  (Read 3617 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
First off, I want to thank Jim @Cellar2ful and Jim (jolayiv) for making this month and this post possible.  The Jims are amazing grillfellas.

Two years ago I had one kettle. 

I think kettle karma is a real thing.  Last year I gave away one kettle to a friend who just bought a house, and sold two kettles (red performer and blue OTG) to co-workers for what I had paid for them. 

In April, I gave away my red L code OTP to a fellow teacher who just bought a house, and I gave away another Go Anywhere gasser to a student at my AP US History BBQ. 

Now I'm no saint, but I've really enjoyed sharing this hobby with friends and co-workers, and I'm glad to say they have enjoyed charcoal grilling as well.  Anyway, the kettle gods have smiled upon me over the last two months.

@Cellar2ful and I found a 1978 Chief on FB marketplace at around the same time.  I contacted him to agent, and he had already picked it up, graciously offering to sell it to me.  Furthermore, Jim also sold me one of his yellow 22 inchers.  Finally, he had a buddy of his bring them to Las Vegas while visiting family.  I cannot stress how above and beyond Jim went for a relative stranger.

I was supposed to pick those grills up two Saturdays ago...but I got VIOLENTLY ill on a band trip to SoCal with my daughter, and my wife picked up the two grills for me.  On Monday, I was still sick, surfing WKC in bed when Jim (jolayiv) suddenly offered to sell an amazing part of his collection: A lime, a red Master Touch, a kebab ring, and a vintage side table.  I immediately messaged him, and told him I would come pick it up, but I asked if he could hold them for almost two weeks.  My daughter was confirmed at our church last weekend and both our families were in town.  Jim graciously said he'd hold them, and he is a man of his word.  Yesterday afternoon, I drove 238 miles to Ridgecrest, CA and picked them up from Jim.  We talked a bit, and I had a beautiful drive back through Death Valley National Park to Las Vegas.

And so, here it all is.  My collection is maxed out, and I'm going to have to thin the herd a bit as keeping all this would limit my access to my backyard, there's no basements in Las Vegas, and my garage is sadly too full already.

So...I've got two co-workers who want to buy grills.  One young couple who are buying their first house, and another who is just getting into BBQ.  Sadly, it's time to say goodbye to the Dumpster Cado (the young couple are hipsters who like the vintage look), and the copper OTP.  I'll sell them for what I bought them for, and I hope the kettle karma keeps going round. 

Please excuse the long post and all the pics, but I wanted to get a photo of "peak collection" before they go and encourage you to spread the Weberitis wherever you are.  Have a great weekend.

The lime

The red master touch

The greens

The Easter eggs

The mbh 22 inchers

22 and 26 mbh

All mbh

Peak collection family photo:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:00:23 PM by crowderjd »
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A long post about kettle karma, grillfellas, and peak collection
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous. That blue sets it, for me.

Good story J. Webertitis and kettle karma are definitely a real thing. Thanks for sharing the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »
Awesome collection!
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
Wow, just wow. Like that they are all in 9/10 condition or better. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
I do like how you say your at your "peak" when You know if the right one comes along.... [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
Simply amazing collection with so much color. I love the yellows and blue.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Wow! All beautiful and great story to go with it. 

Kettle Karma is real. Last Sunday I gifted  nice gas grill and another a full charcoal kettle set-up with a bag of charcoal and a weber chimney. Next day, on Victoria holiday Monday morning, I was able to score almost new Euro premium 18" for like $30 usd with a weber chimney. 2 days after, I scored just as nice 26er with a cover and another weber chimney for less than $100 usd.  How is that for a kettle karma this week. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:45:32 PM by greenweb »

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
Sweet collection! Copper Ranch??!!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
That's a great story and amazing grills. Kettle karma is definitely real and amazing-experienced it myself!

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »
Great story and amazing collection. The red MT is my most sought after.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
Great collection and story!!!.Have a great weekend!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
@RottiGuy is that condiment rack working out for you?  :) 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
Yes it is!!,It's on my daily cooker, and look's great!!...Another great gesture from WKC @crowderjd , for sending me the condiment rack!! Will go get a pic!!

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app